Wiring questions

abloom

I'm working on a Willow kit that will be an old stone tavern, and for several reasons I'm making the exterior walls 3/4" thick, by adding a false inner (or outer) wall. So there will be a space inside the double wall where I can run wiring. I'm planning to run tape wire under the first floor, and use round wire from there up through the walls to wherever the lights will be. My questions are, first, is that a reasonable approach? I've only wired one house and I don't have much expertise. 

Second, will  it cause any problems if I leave each wire a foot or so longer than necessary, hiding the extra length inside the wall? I'm thinking that later I might need to replace a light or a bulb, and the extra length would let me pull the light out to where I can work on it.

Thanks for your help!

3 hours ago, abloom said:

... I'm planning to run tape wire under the first floor, and use round wire from there up through the walls to wherever the lights will be. My questions are, first, is that a reasonable approach? ...

Second, will  it cause any problems if I leave each wire a foot or so longer than necessary, hiding the extra length inside the wall? I'm thinking that later I might need to replace a light or a bulb, and the extra length would let me pull the light out to where I can work on it.

Andrea, I used the tape wire/round wire combo for my houseboat and it worked out just fine. And leaving extra wire is a good idea. You never know when you may need to do a repair or adjustment.

I use templates over my wiring, both walls and floors. I use roundwire so I cut grooves to help me 'hide' them without having big 'lumps' on the surface, then I add some electrical tape over the grove to keep the wires safe and in place and cover everything with the template attached with double sided adesive tape. As for leaving extra length on the wires... I usually try to avoid this, however sometimes if I can hide it I'll leave the extra wire there for 'safety' reasons... and by this I mean sometimes I need to replace a plug/bulb or rewire it through a diferent path, and if I don't have that extra length things can get messy.

On 2/12/2018, 4:34:10, wormwoodz said:

I use templates over my wiring, both walls and floors. I use roundwire so I cut grooves to help me 'hide' them ... 

Ashley, by templates do you mean another layer over the walls and floors? If so, what material do you make the templates out of, and how do you cut the grooves in them?

14 hours ago, abloom said:

Ashley, by templates do you mean another layer over the walls and floors? If so, what material do you make the templates out of, and how do you cut the grooves in them?

Yes, I use plywood for the templates, thickness depends on scale and surface, from 0,4 mm to 4 mm. But you can also use card or foam based materials, such as posterboard or cardstock.