How do you tongue and groove for minis?

Shareb

Hi all - Hubby and I are discussing the best way to tongue and groove my gypsy wagon.  I was simply going to cut strips of bass wood and glue it on but as hubby says, that won't give the tongue and groove look.  I have a table saw for minis.  The other idea is to cut grooves into the board but I would worry about stuffing up!  I'd like to move forward and do this before painting any more or assembling so I don't really want to order online and wait for it to arrive.  Any ideas gratefully received!

8 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

Does that mean you put groves in the board on the 4" side, not on the edge? 

Correct. An attempt at an illusion  of tongue and groove. But now I remember, I used balsa instead of basswood. The grooves might be a little rougher  than if I used bass. See if it passes your hubby’s standards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sable said:

What did you mean by ‘stuffing up’?

Getting it wrong - making a mistake.  I ended up using an embossing tool which put a really nice groove into bass board.  I tried using the same directly on the caravan wood (on the floor in a place which will be hidden) and that wood is far too hard/dense for that effect to work.  So I'm thinking what I'll end up doing is grooving the bass board, cutting it to size and applying the board to the walls.  I'm gluing the wagon together now because I want to ensure that I know exactly what I need to T & G to cover up any raw edges etc.  THere is so much to think of!  I made the chicken coups today too....

Rebecca, if you're simulating beadboard, I did it in my Magnolia build by gluing strips of uber thin siding split lengthwise into board widths vertically on the interior walls:

KathieB's photos:  the master bedroom

Since it's a Florida Cracker family's house, all the interior walls are beadboard.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Rebecca, if you're simulating beadboard, I did it in my Magnolia build by gluing strips of uber thin siding split lengthwise into board widths vertically on the interior walls:

I used this same technique on the attic space of my Pierce!  Looks good!

3 hours ago, mesp2k said:

I use a metal straight edge

& a cheap glass cutter (has wheel for EZ embossing)

Now that is some interesting looking tool!!!  Where did you get it from Mike?

2 hours ago, Shareb said:

Where did you get it from Mike?

Any hardware store or art supply place should have them, Rebecca.

If you search online use: glass cutter carbide wheel

The USA ebay as a bunch of them > click here

New Zealand??

The tool will create an embossed V shaped groove.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sable said:

For anyone not familiar with this tool, the tiny wheel at the upper right corner is the tool, the rest is just the handle. I agree, it would be perfect for embossing a V groove.

And it's also handy for cutting window glass, should you elect to replace the plastic inserts. :D 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sable said:

For anyone not familiar with this tool, the tiny wheel at the upper right corner is the tool, the rest is just the handle. I agree, it would be perfect for embossing a V groove.

Wow, I have one of those and I never thought about using it that way, great tip!

I have a generous selection of woodworking tools I use for my regular work, I usually cut the groves with carving tools... mini chisels essentialy. But these are expensive and require sharpening, I wouldn't recomend them unless you have to work with wood on a regular basis and really need them. They don't cut so well on plywood either. On the other hand, I think needle files are very handy for this kind of work and pretty cheap. 

7 hours ago, KathieB said:

And it's also handy for cutting window glass, should you elect to replace the plastic inserts. :D 

I thought it looked like a glass cutter.  I wouldn't have thought to use it on wood.

12 hours ago, Sable said:

Thanks for pointing that out, Sable.  I'm so use to this old timey tool :coffee:

The ball shape, opposite end to the wheel, is for tapping the glass to break it at the score line. 

The 3 notches (different thickness of glass) near the wheel are used to snap or break off the stubborn pieces of glass that didn't break off evenly.

• 3 weeks later...

I have done this. Cut strips of basswood then run a bit of sandpaper along the cut edges - takes of the sharpness. It create a small bevel and when butted together looks just like tongue and groove. I tried cutting grooves into wider sheets of basswood but the grain gave it away since the grain pastern continued across more than on 'board'. If you cut individual boards then you can mix them around to keep the grain random.