How to block and finish needlepoint rug

miniaddicted

I bought this from Bluette Meloney's estate collection some months ago and not being knowledgeable on how to block and finish it, I'm asking you all. I know there's at least a few members who have this experience.  It is beautifully done and I don't want to ruin it with my lack of experience. Is this something I can do without experience or should I look for someone in the area to do it for me? 

She kept it in a plastic sheet protector - not sure who made it but I got the sense it was used as a sample to show people. Anyway, I need advice!

large.rugback.jpg.7e6340d3b9392feb178b3a

large.rugfront.jpg.29062a8ce4b1b00378add

Edited by miniaddicted
spelling

If you didn't cut off all the excess fabric around it it's easy to pin it squared onto a flat pillow or a folded towel (my weapon of choice), face down, and with either a damp cloth or a steam iron set on "cotton" press it.  If the fabric is gone you'll need to pin it through the stitching and after it's blocked & squared, remove all the pins and carefully repeat the process to remove the pin holes in the stitching.  Sometimes even with a frame or hoop if your stitches are too tight it's possible to get skewing.

• 2 weeks later...