Chalk Pastels

NellBell

I have seen many post on scraping chalk pastels and using them for different techniques . My question is what type of pastel are you using ? when I look for chalk pastels  I seem to only find the oil and the soft pastels . I finally found chalk pencil pastels are these what you are using?

10 minutes ago, NellBell said:

I have seen many post on scraping chalk pastels and using them for different techniques . My question is what type of pastel are you using ? when I look for chalk pastels  I seem to only find the oil and the soft pastels . I finally found chalk pencil pastels are these what you are using?

These are some of My boxes of chalks, not sure what brands are avaliable over with you, but I like Faber Castel too.

large.IMG_1137.JPG.16c9b9f2225fd38e944fe

Use the soft 'dry' pastels, not oil. Pencil pastel is better suited for painting, not scrapping. You can buy a cheap brand for scraping into powder, I used to get the cheapest sort for dolls' makeup and body shading and never had a problem. I'd also recomend a good spray sealant to finish the work. 

Ashley, I also use grated chalk pastels to finish coloring my little people.  Nell, chalk pastels will say "chalk pastels" on the box.  They feel dryer to the touch than oil pastels.  I have both, I like the oil pastels for drawing in pastels, and the chalk pastels for using grated.  I have also used them for coloring sandpaper "bricks" and "shingles".  The colors blend nicely using an old rag or paper towel.