Furniture builds

Keifer

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Ooo, pretty!  Being me, I would have tried to use that lozenge shape on the chair back that's on the table top. One quick question, why does the sugar pine on the chair not seem to match its table top counterpart?  Or is it just the angle the light hits it?

Funny but I never thought about repeating the shape on the chairs, I may have to try that.  The chair color doesn’t match because it’s a different wood.  I ran out of the sugar pine :(  although it matches more closely in person, the lighting was kinda funky. 

2 hours ago, Keifer said:

On my next version I would have the front legs run all the way to the seat.  I think it would flow better and I wouldn’t have the end grain showing underneath the seat. I can’t believe I didn’t notice that from the get go. 

I see your point ... a small thing, but significant

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2018, 6:16:33, havanaholly said:

Ooo, pretty!  Being me, I would have tried to use that lozenge shape on the chair back that's on the table top. One quick question, why does the sugar pine on the chair not seem to match its table top counterpart?  Or is it just the angle the light hits it?

I took your suggestion and gave it a try.  I made a new chair incorporating the inlay shape from the table for the back.  I also carried the front legs all the way to the bottom of the seat, looks better flows better.

large.54AE45D7-B678-412D-BCDD-3DEEED0E60

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NellBell said:

I really love these both are awesome. ?? What type of tools do you use to do these fine pieces ?

3 major tools were used to make my chairs.  A miter saw, a benchtop belt/disc combo sander and a scroll saw.   In the first chair the center design of the back was actually 3 separate pieces glued together.  For the 2nd chair I cut the center piece with my scroll saw (didn’t have the scroll saw at the time of the first chair)

Other than that I have some small files and a little block I wrap sandpaper around to do lots of sanding. 

2 hours ago, Keifer said:

3 major tools were used to make my chairs.  A miter saw, a benchtop belt/disc combo sander and a scroll saw.   In the first chair the center design of the back was actually 3 separate pieces glued together.  For the 2nd chair I cut the center piece with my scroll saw (didn’t have the scroll saw at the time of the first chair)

Other than that I have some small files and a little block I wrap sandpaper around to do lots of sanding. 

Thanks so much . Still haven't decided on tools I want to buy . I am still doing everything with a box cutter and exact knife and it's getting a little old

52 minutes ago, NellBell said:

Thanks so much . Still haven't decided on tools I want to buy . I am still doing everything with a box cutter and exact knife and it's getting a little old

I also use one of these

8BE585E4-E759-4D1E-AD0A-32800F50D1D7.jpeg

I made a little side table to go with the chair from the “Alison collection” (named after my eldest) she is tall and lean much like me, so I thought this chair fit her likeness.  The table, no way to mince words here...I hate it.  I thought it would look different but when I finished it my first thought was....tv tray.   My youngest is happy though, she asked if she could have it and I said yes. 

2D6BCA90-93F7-4F41-BF37-C3878B659A69.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/25/2018, 11:29:10, Keifer said:

On my next version I would have the front legs run all the way to the seat.  I think it would flow better and I wouldn’t have the end grain showing underneath the seat. I can’t believe I didn’t notice that from the get go. 

Yes Keith, I noticed on another of your posts the legs went up to the seat and that seemed more 'real'. I LOVE your table and chairs, very nice!

On that side table I think you could make the back bracing legs match the angle of the chair's back legs to make it look less like a TV tray.  On the other hand, if I had a table & chair like that I would have that table in front of me with those legs tucked under the chair to work on whatever minis.

• 2 months later...

Well here is my latest furniture creation.  I’ve discovered, well I think I kinda knew but I really like making chairs.  Tables are ok and cabinets are boring but chairs speak to me.  Chairs have personality!

On a special note, the accent pillows are from our very own Brae (otterine).  I was very excited when I got them today...just perfect!

47155855-0766-4550-9AF0-26C15BC75EAD.jpeg

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Keifer said:

Well here is my latest furniture creation.  I’ve discovered, well I think I kinda knew but I really like making chairs.  Tables are ok and cabinets are boring but chairs speak to me.  Chairs have personality!

On a special note, the accent pillows are from our very own Brae (otterine).  I was very excited when I got them today...just perfect!

47155855-0766-4550-9AF0-26C15BC75EAD.jpeg

I want to curl up in it with a book. I'm a chair freak too ;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Gorgeous, Keith!  Do you use steam or boiling water to bend your wood?

Enquiring minds want to know.  :D Whatever your method, the result is stunning. This chair does more than speak -- it sings! :note: 

• Like 1