Newbie micro mini (1:144) questions

LauraLark

Hi all! I've got a 1:144 Beacon Hill I'm excited to start working on. I've been doing research to try to minimize mistakes since this will be my first dollhouse (or second, depending if I get more excited about my approx. quarter scale one instead in the next day or so) and have a couple questions. And general tips and tricks are more than welcome too!

1. I know it's generally not a good idea to prime/paint pieces while they're still in the sheet, but I went through a gallery here where a member didn't seem to have trouble doing that with a 1:144 Beacon Hill and it definitely seems like it'd be easier to handle painting tiny pieces that way. Thoughts?

2. I've seen mention of using weights to keep pieces from warping. How do I do that? Paint, then cover with wax paper or something and then put something heavy on top? Seems like that would interfere with the paint drying. Or do you do it after it's dry? Though I could also the painter's tape trick (attach it sticky side up and then put the wood pieces on the tape before painting).

3. I was planning to use latex as a primer, but will acrylic paint be ok? I only have acrylic paint on hand this weekend and I'm itching to get painting. 

4. On pieces this tiny, is it pointless (or overwhelmingly difficult) to sand a bit between coats of paint? I can't decide if it's more important or less to do it on small scale models lol. (Harder to see things in general on smaller scale but that makes imperfections look even bigger proportionally-speaking.)

Thank you!

• Like 1