Accidentally bought a 1:48 Scale Laser Cut Dollhouse!!!

Hello Everyone!

It seems what I originally thought was "mistakes" actually isn't and my new laser cut dollhouse kit is in quarter scale!

Although I didn't intend to build a 1:48 Scale Dollhouse yet, it seems that know have a kit in this scale and I want to keep it because it is just too cute for words, but... I have about ZERO experience with this scale!

Does anyone have advice?

Thank you!

I finally ventured into 1:24 scale, and I have a few of Greenleaf's 1:48 scale village kits I have not yet built.  For those prices I'd be sorely tempted to box up the 1:48 kit and return it to exchange for either 1:24 or 1:12,  If you do decide to keep and build the 1:48 version (it IS a cute little thing!), being laser cut it will be a piece of cake to dry fit, and if the kit hasn't already begun to talk and tell you what it wants, that's usually when they start.  I would use an acrylic nail board to lightly sand the charred edges to remove the soot from the laser cut edges.  In the dry fit you can also experiment with turning the stairs the other way to see if they fit better, before making tiny spiral stairs.  Do make an album of your build.

• Like 1

I'll be so interested to hear of your progress. For Xmas I got an Ashley Gothic in 1:48 scale but haven't had time to start building it yet. If you start a blog or album, please let us know so that I can follow you. Good luck! :)

Holly, that's a great tip on sanding the edges of the pieces. I don't really like the way the burnt edges look but hadn't thought of sanding. Duh. lol

10 minutes ago, kokomo said:

...tip on sanding the edges of the pieces. I don't really like the way the burnt edges look but hadn't thought of sanding. Duh. lol

I forget whose tip that originally was, but I wished I'd seen it before I built my laser cut 1:24 Lighthouse.  My biggest problem, though, was that the kit flew together so quickly I totlly missed the bashing I had planned for installing stairs.

I love quarter scale! Which kit did you get?

Decorate the inside before assembling - everything. I find 1:48 requires a lot of pre-planning because making changes after things are assembled is really hard in those tiny spaces.

There are plenty of great furniture options - Andrew&Suzanne, BJMinis, SDK, PetiteProperties, Betterley, Shapeways - lots of options. Good luck!

• Like 1

I used rubbing alcohol on a q-tip when I was building the Greenleaf half scale lighthouse. It worked okay. But now, especially for the 1:48 and smaller scales, I just do a few swipes with a small.piece of fine trained sandpaper. The file Holly suggested will be useful to get inside railings and such. Have fn with your new kit! Quarter scale is so cute! Also, our member Pat (cloudbound) makes 1:48 furniture that is really great. She is on eBay under the same name or you can send her a message here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I love quarter scale! Which kit did you get?

Decorate the inside before assembling - everything. I find 1:48 requires a lot of pre-planning because making changes after things are assembled is really hard in those tiny spaces.

There are plenty of great furniture options - Andrew&Suzanne, BJMinis, SDK, PetiteProperties, Betterley, Shapeways - lots of options. Good luck!

It's the Jasmine Gothic Victorian and it's so adorable!

Thank you for the help with the furniture. I'm at a bit of a loss with what to do. I have heard that a person can landscape very well in this scale however and I'm looking forward to this part too.

Decorating while building will mean that I will need to buy wallpaper, furniture, and accessories before starting, but that sounds so exciting! Especially since I think I will want a half scale dollhouse in this style of kit too and it will be fun to decorate them differently.

22 minutes ago, queenannediva said:

No decorates 1/4 scale like Kristie of Norman's Country Creek.  Here is a link to her Jasmine Gothic and be sure to check out her other completed projects and she is now offering furniture kits.

http://www.normanscountrycreek.com/sage.html

I just can’t believe how when I see a site posted here I have never seen it before. So many minis so little time. 

3 hours ago, queenannediva said:

No decorates 1/4 scale like Kristie of Norman's Country Creek.  Here is a link to her Jasmine Gothic and be sure to check out her other completed projects and she is now offering furniture kits.

http://www.normanscountrycreek.com/sage.html

Thank you for this link! It is rather fascinating for me to see this kit built and the ideas of the person who has built it. The manufacturer has changed the position of the staircase since this kit was built and I'm looking forward to adding a spiral staircase instead as well as implementing the research that I have done on Gothic homes.

Everyone wants an album of my build, and I think I'm going to do it with pictures. (That seems easier than filming seperate videos, and splicing them together to create one video.)