Flooring

Mineejv

I'm putting some flooring in my Pierce thats already built. I bought some flooring from Hobby Lobby that has a white backing on it. What I won't to know is, if I take that off is it going to stay together or am I going to have single strips of flooring? I've already made a template of the room so should I cut it out using the template and glue it to the house floor or should I glue it to the template and glue that in ?  If I was making my own floor I'd use the template and glue that in. But I've never used this type of flooring.

I see no need to remove the backing. I would use the  template to cut the required shape and then glue it to the Pierce floor. It doesn't need to be glued to the template, as the white backing will hold it all together. 

If you think you might ever want to remove the flooring, don't glue it down. Slide it into place and glue the baseboards to the wall, taking care not to get glue on the flooring. The baseboards/skirting boards will hold the floor in place, yet  it will easily slide out.

• Like 1

I have used this floor and I don't remove the backing.  I really like the flooring, but cut it carefully as it chips easily.  When I have chipped it, I used a medium furniture pen to cover the chips, and it hides them well.  The furniture marker can also hide any seams that might show bare wood.

Kathie's idea of not gluing works well with this flooring because it is heavy enough that it lays flat without being glued.

Just so you know, the backing protects the self-adhesive which serves two purposes. The adhesive can be used to attach the floor down and it keeps all of the wooden slats together. They are stuck together very well.  I usually add additional glue to the adhesive when permanently attaching the floor to a really clean surface.

I took me about a half hour to cut it with the utility knife. I was going to use the saw but a need 3 more row of it.I was afraid I wouldn't have enough if I screwed up. I didn't have any chips with the knife. I put a new blade to start with. Its pine....that's a hard wood maybe that's why. Plus my hands don't work good any more.    Thanks u a'll