How to make thin 1:144 wood furniture sturdier?

LauraLark

I bought kits from sdk miniatures for building furniture for my 1:144 house and am wondering if there's a way to make them sturdier. The wood is sooooo thin (by necessity, I'm not saying it's an inferior product. They're beautiful little kits and well priced, but they add up and I don't want to end up having spend the time/effort in vain). I worry about the furniture being easily bent or not standing up straight. I'm brainstorming ways to add small bits of hidden wood to some of them but it won't work for most of the bendy pieces (chair backs, bed posts etc). Is there anything I can coat them with to make them sturdier? Or any really really thin material I can glue to the backs/undersides that would help?

Thanks.

I haven't tried this, but I read about someone coating their tiny furniture with super glue to strengthen it. 

I myself have used a bit of woodglue on the joints after initial tacky glue dried. It made them stronger and stiffer. I have considered coating items with mod podge too.  Mind you I'm doing 1:48, so I can get away with that.

Would love to see your kits when done!

How much strain do you expect to put on 1:144 furniture?  Something that tiny doesn't need to be handled; if it's not glued into place it will blow away; and if it's glued in place that's probably as sturdy as it needs to get.

• Like 1

Very true about it blowing away. I use wax for nearly all my 1:48 to keep it from falling over/blowing away at the tiniest tremor. I don't glue because I am not good at settling on a permanent layout. I always want to rearrange!

Thanks guys. I want them to be sturdy enough to hold their shape while being assembled and moved around a bit (I'm a perfectionist and also a rearranger, heh). I'm careful and not particularly clumsy but I can easily see myself accidentally fumbling a bit with them while handling them and just want to protect them just in case.