Help with porch floor color for farmhouse please

Elsbeth

I am hopeless with color schemes.

I'm getting close to finishing my smaller scale Pepperwood (built from the plans!). I plan on posting an album when done. I was too scared to do anything but white clapboard.

HELP: I would love input on the color of the porch floor. Gray? White? Natural? distressed white? 

Mine is white clapboard with white window trim and a dark green roof. Red brick foundation on the back and sides, and white lattice on front porch. Very white. And olde-tyme - the interior is not modern. The porch will be folksy (rocking chair and wreaths). 

I'm worried a white porch floor will be too much white. What color would you do? If you had a boring white house like mine...

This is a Pepperwood: 4e1dca53e0157_129107n.jpg 

And this is similar to my color scheme: HerndonGreenRoof.jpg

What’s not to love about all white!? :D

I've done dark green and grey porch floors, blue or white ceilings for any overhangs. I saw a Pinterest image of a grey porch that was done like marble that was lovely. I think your color scheme image looks great too and that looks like it’s got a light grey porch. Try some paint on swatches and then go with what you like best.

I vote for a gray floor and a light blue porch ceiling.

The whys behind a blue porch ceiling.

I like the bit about the Haints the best. 

The Significance of Haints

Blue ceilings are popular and have been popular in the South for centuries. "Porch ceilings have always been blue in the South," says Lori Sawaya, an independent Principal Color Strategist. "People continue to paint their porch ceiling blue because that's what their grandmother did, and that's what her grandmother did."

But many Southerners suggest that blue porch ceilings originated out of the fear of haints. Southerners, especially in the area of South Carolina, have a name for the ceiling paint used on porches – the soft blue-green is referred to as "Haint Blue."

"Haints are restless spirits of the dead who, for whatever reason, have not moved on from their physical world," says Sawaya.

Haint blue, which can also be found on door and window frames as well as porch ceilings, is intended to protect the homeowner from being "taken" or influenced by haints. It is said to protect the house and the occupants of the house from evil.

• Like 1

I don't know what I'd do without a color-crew like you!

I am going with "Greige"...and I LOVE the story about haint blue. 

Gray-Greige it is. Thank you all! Will post an album when it is all done. It has been a lot of fun making this little house.

That haint story is fantastic! I love the idea of painting the porch ceiling to keep away ghosts and ghouls :rolleyes: 

Until I relocated to Oregon in 2016, I lived between Florida (FL being my permanent home) and North Carolina (and occasionally Georgia). I do remember seeing those blue ceilings; I never thought about why everyone chose blue!