Hand Embroidery

Lately I've been getting back into embroidery, urged on by my latest mini project of sewing the fabric details like bedding and whatnot for my dollhouse. Eventually I want to embroider a couple of nice rugs and perhaps crochet some thread lace for window treatments for it. However, it's been about seven years since I last put needle and floss to fabric, as the last project before this one was a pair of pillowcases with a stamped cross stitch pattern completed when I was 17. Very simple and not terribly interesting.

In the endeavor to practice a little on something larger before I begin working on something mini, I went sorting through my file of patterns for something to work on, and came up with this raven pattern I bought from Urban Threads many years ago. I don't have a printer right now, so I just free-handed it, and I think it looks pretty good! So far using a combination of backstitch and long and short stitch to fill it in.

01.jpg

02.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Hello! I know that I was late with the question, but I would be interested to get an answer from the author of the thread. Have you tried to embroider such patterns with an embroidery machine? I have a little practice of manual embroidery, then I would like to start doing something similar on an embroidery machine.

6 hours ago, lisalewis said:

Hello! I know that I was late with the question, but I would be interested to get an answer from the author of the thread. Have you tried to embroider such patterns with an embroidery machine? I have a little practice of manual embroidery, then I would like to start doing something similar on an embroidery machine.

Hi Lisa,

I've actually never used an embroidery machine, I like doing it by hand so much. It's almost meditative in a way, and I feel that the end product has a lot more personality to it. That's just me though! Most embroidery machines I've seen tend to just do it for you if you load a pattern into them, if you wanted to control it yourself I think you'd have to draw the pattern first with washable fabric marker to create a guide for yourself.

I have an embroidery machine a very old model but works. It has not really occurred to me to try mini projects with it because I think the end product would be far too bulky. I think the cloth would be too heavy for a miniature scene as well. Perhaps the newer models are capable of making a finer design on thinner material. 

I'm with Alannah in that I find any needlework by hand puts me into The Zone.  That said, I love some of the newer machine embroidered shirts and blouses, and some of the fabrics and designs seem like they would work in mini.

14 hours ago, MiniaturesInsight said:

Hi Lisa,

I've actually never used an embroidery machine, I like doing it by hand so much. It's almost meditative in a way, and I feel that the end product has a lot more personality to it. That's just me though! Most embroidery machines I've seen tend to just do it for you if you load a pattern into them, if you wanted to control it yourself I think you'd have to draw the pattern first with washable fabric marker to create a guide for yourself.

Hi Alannah,

I agree that hand embroidery has more personality. Even if there are inaccuracies and errors in such work, it does not look terrible, but looks unique. Plus this is for some a really great way to meditate. But unfortunately, I do not always have the patience to finish the embroidery. So I started reading about embroidery machines. It seems to work on it is not difficult. I have already made a list of some embroidery machines that I liked in terms of price and quality. Here is some of them:
Brother PE770
Brother PE535
SINGER Futura XL-550
Lisa, maybe you can help with advice in choosing, since you already have experience using an embroidery machine, albeit an old model

Edited by lisalewis

• 1 year later...

I hand embroidered bedding at age 12 that I still have 20 years later. The handmade imperfections make it even better. Yours is gorgeous! Don’t stress and know no one will ever see the imperceptible flaws you see. It’s just gorgeous and pretty! 

Edited by J_Sea
  • Like 2