Homemade Resto in VA

Finn

I'm new to this forum (and forums in general) and I'm hoping I was ok joining if I'm not actually working on a kit home! My dad built me a bare bones dollhouse when I was little. He built it on Christmas Eve and it was there for me on Christmas morning. We never finished it but it still got many years of play and quite a few accessories (Most of which have disappeared.) I've decided to finish the job and since getting it from my parents again this past Christmas I've realized how overwhelmed and underprepared I am! Especially since nothing is to standard sizing. 

I'll be navigating the forums for places to ask questions but for now,  here she is, in all her naked glory. (Pardon the picture frames. The attic is functioning like a real attic at the moment.)

20180223_130253.jpg

• Like 1

Everyone is welcome here Erin. Kit builders, scratch builders, renovators, doll makers.. etc, etc, etc.. There are so many facets to this hobby and we love them all... we are lucky that Greenleaf is generous enough to host this site for all lovers of miniatures. :) 

So welcome! :wave:

Hey Erin

Is it 1/4" plywood?  Will you be adding a staircase?

You can DIY the windows & doors if the openings are odd sized

or you can fill in the openings & re-cut them to standard sizes.

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Erin.  Begin by removing the picture frames and possibly also the pieces of vinyl.  Measure the height and width of your door and window openings in the house.  Measure the doorways and windows in the house you live in.  This will give you some idea of a scale to work with as you compare the two sets of measurements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sable said:

I rolled over laughing when you said he assembled it on Christmas Eve. What a great Dad you have. At least he tried.

He's pretty rad. He never claimed to be a master craftsman but I wanted a dollhouse and by-golly that man made it happen! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mesp2k said:

Hey Erin

Is it 1/4" plywood?  Will you be adding a staircase?

You can DIY the windows & doors if the openings are odd sized

or you can fill in the openings & re-cut them to standard sizes.

It's 1/8" and as for the stairs, I've always wanted to add them but not sure how or where. 

I'm assuming all windows and doors will be diy at this point, but I def need to take detailed measurements. Also have some warping to contend with. 

• Like 1

The little holes on either side at floor level on both floors look like holes for a firebox. I bet your house was supposed to have chimneys on either side. :) Four fireplaces is quite grand. :D  

13 hours ago, Finn said:

Also have some warping to contend with. 

Stout quarter-round trim from hardware store (my Michael's sells fancy quarter-roundish also) on the edges can help with that. Welcome-- looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...