Furniture overload

stickyfingers

So, I've been buying "lots" of furniture and accessories, it's way cheaper than buying by the piece, and I've gotten some great treasures that way. BUT, now I have a LOT of furniture and accessories. Going to sort it all out into the "keep" and "sell" piles. 

For selling, some of these pieces need a little TLC or repairs, or would just look so much better with some sanding and paint. Would you fix them up prior to selling, or just sell everything as-is? For me (and many of you) I have no problem painting or customizing a shabby piece, but I know some people would prefer to buy it already finished. What would you do?

I would sell as is for two reasons. 

1- I would rather fix up a piece as I see it rather than undo someone elses work. 

2- You will never recoup your time invested with fair compensation. 

Just my 2 cents 

I think it could go either way. Some people won’t see the potential in a plainpiece and others won’t justify spending a bit more on a handpainted piece. Why don’t you paint a few pieces (nothing fancy, just shabby as you mentioned) and list them with some unpainted pieces and see how you go?

If it's in good condition leave it it needs some covering up . I'd glue and  paint it a neutral color . If you use the chalk paint you need very little sanding well in my case actually none ( I hate sanding) even big people furniture . If the piece is stained and has  varnish on it again use chalk paint . I let the paint sit and dry out just a little then do a dry brush paint style  over it it usually looks really good and covers a multitude of sins. 

Me personally I love fixing the old stuff myself .

You can always resell in newly organized lots. I think everyone’s comments are valid. I’ve tried both methods. If you enjoy fixing and modifying the pieces, then by all means do it and sell them individually, just don’t expect a big return (the return is really the enjoyment you get from fixing or updating the piece). If you’re just wanting some cash back then I’d sell as is, either individually by piece or in lots, or both.

I agree it could go either way. I like to fix up furniture so I buy the cruddy stuff.. but I also like a good artisan piece. :) If you feel that people wont see the potential in a piece, fix it up. Otherwise I'd sell as is. 

Thanks for all of the opinions. I was tempted to repaint a few pieces, but will sell them as-is. I barely have time to work on my own furniture, so don't have the time for it anyway. Plan to list these on ebay in smallish lots at a low starting bid and see what I get. I have an abundance of baby room/nursery furniture and accessories that I know I'll never use. I did get a bit of trashy treasure recently...turns it it's pieces of a Bespaq curio cabinet. The main pieces are there, so a few bits of wood and a coat of paint and I'm going to have a neat piece, basically for free In that same box, hidden at the bottom, is a Millie August tiny dollhouse...no idea what scale, maybe 1/48? Totally adorable and something I never would have bought on my own.  

I'm going to sort the keepers by room. then sort out all of the accessories. Haven't decides what to do with all of the HOM kits, but will probably sort them into rooms, as well.

I always look for good deals on lots but never find any so I’m envious. 

As far as the selling, I’d rather get a good deal and fix up a piece myself. Maybe write in the description how it could be fixed up..to get people’s imagination going. Like “this would look great painted white”...that type of thing