Who’s going to the Chicago shows?

BriJohn

We’ve booked a room with me and husband a kids but I’ll be the one going gown and doing the buying. Last time i let each of the older kids go down with only me one at a time and select a few things to purchase. We were at the Bishop show. This year I also want to go to the miniature show in Schaumburg and the museum where the Thorne Rooms are. Anyone going?

On 2/27/2018, 11:58:29, Keifer said:

I should be able to attend.  Do you have any info on the Schaumburg show?

You can find info here http://3blindmiceshow.com/chicago_spring/

I bought a ticket for the 27th preview show and sales, so I guess unless something too bad happens, I will go this year. It is an hour drive from my house, so if anyone wants to meet over there I will be more than happy to do so. If at all possible, I will try to go to the Schaumburg show also, will see how it goes. They usually have free shuttle to hop between shows.

6 hours ago, Nathaliedollsmini said:

In Schaumburg you also have The Miniature show on the 26- 27  and 28

all informations here  http://theminiatureshow.com/

Yes, believe it or not, there are 3 shows in Chicago at the same time, not too good for people like me that need to take my time to decide what I want. Hate to rush!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, minilover62 said:

Yes, believe it or not, there are 3 shows in Chicago at the same time, not too good for people like me that need to take my time to decide what I want. Hate to rush!

That’s kind of crazy! Ive never been to any of them. Is the Bishop shoe THE one to go to? 

• 3 weeks later...

I will be going to all 3. 

Was looking at the Bishop page and happened on a link that shows special features for this year's show. http://www.bishopshow.com/show-highlights  

On 3/11/2018, 11:34:00, SewMini said:

That’s kind of crazy! Ive never been to any of them. Is the Bishop shoe THE one to go to? 

My experience with the Chicago shows has changed over time. We used to have one show that was artisans - I think NAME or IGMA...its been a while ago. So the 3 shows currently and my experience and take on them:

Bishop Show - the largest of the 3, has workshops during the week and then Sat/Sunday. They do a preview show on Friday that costs extra and is sold out right now. It is international - draws from all over the world. I've seen many fine artisans and their work, and I go to ogle and dream over their work, if nothing else! Things that I find lacking are more the "DIY" things. This is because I usually keep of mini shopping list things and keep hoping I can buy them - wallpapers, trims, etc. I usually go to BB Miniatures - she has some lovely hand painted bespaq. Lots of artisans  - too many to mention here. Oh and the doll room....so fun to dream in there!

3 Blind Mice - this show does offer a wider variety of DIY, mid-priced items as well as some high end items like Bespaq. One dealer I do recommend here is M&R Miniatures - they make the wood kitchen cabinets I'm so fond of. They are unfinished (he does have stained ones too) and you can mix and match for the items you want. All About Miniatures will be there - this is @Gonzo from here - Greg - he has tons of furniture at the show usually. They also have free shuttles to other shows.

large.IMG_3350.JPG.502d6201a980dda194363

The Miniature Show - this is put on by Greg Madl from Swan House Miniatures. Some of the actual artisans are at their tables. One such that I've purchased from is Cutest things - she is such a fun and bubbly person and her work is fabulous. The sweet pink bed set I got from her last year. Lighting Bug also has a table there, and sold me some of their fine lights. The show is set up so that there are many tables of miniatures, representing various artisans - artisans that they represent at Swan House. Some of the artisans are there, but Swan House mans the rest of the tables so you can purchase artisan items. 

large.girlsBedroom.jpg.b630e94e007f7268f

• Like 1

Thank you for your feedback @miniaddicted I will exhibit and make a corset workshop for the second time at the Miniature show as an artisan, and of course I can't visit the other ones to my regrets! But with the size of the Bishop show it requires more than a day to visit all 3. I hope to see some of you neverthless !! ;-)

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Heidi, when & where did they do the CIMTA show?

They do it in Las Vegas in January.....Last year it was for wholesalers only. I hope they change it so i could go at least once.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, I will not be able to go to Chicago tomorrow. Sadly I have a ticket for the preview that will not be used because on top that there is not time to send it anywhere, I think they can't be transfer. I would have give it to anyone that wanted it. Hopefully next spring will finally be the one for me.:(

I don’t think I will be able to either.  There is soo much going on this weekend.  My mother decided to fly in last minute and I need to pick her up Sat but she is flying standby so its a waiting game. 

Does the preview ticket have your name on it?   If not I don’t see why it couldn’t tranfer.  Friday could be an option for me. 

On 3/31/2018, 1:53:26, Mid-life madness said:

@miniaddicted

Heidii, would you happen to have a website for M&R miniatures? I googled, but did not find anything?

They do NOT have a website. 

M & R Miniatures
111 Blue Grass Lane
Rochester NY 14626-1737
585-227-0985
mrvogler@frontiernet.net

Mary Vogler - they are an older couple, and only go to some shows - not sure what circuit they go on. She can send you a price list - just tell her what scale you want. They have also done a mock-up for me - i gave them the room floor layout, and size....and they did a foam fake room and placed the pieces - a couple of placements, and sent me a picture back - so I could visualize. 

• Like 1

Well, I went yesterday after all, and I not only went to the fabulous Bishop Show at the Marriott Hotel, but I was able to go to the other 2 shows as well! I got to the Marriott at 10 am and  stayed there for 4 hours. I walked all over, bought a few things took lots of pictures, talked to a few dealers, and then I took the happy shuttle (yellow school bus) to go to the 3 Blind Mice show at the Windham Garden Hotel in Schaumburg (not that far from the Marriott). I was also able to walk all over the place, bought a few more things, talked to our friend Greg (Gonzo at Ebay and here). Lastly I took the happy shuttle bus again and went to the Miniatures Show at the Hyatt Hotel also in Shaunmburg (pretty close to the Windham), and again I was able to walk all around there. Wao! what a day. When i finished at 6:30 pm and was on my on the last happy shuttle (this one was a medium size van even with steps to help us get in and out of the van) back to the Marriott to collect my car, I realized that I didn't have anything to eat all day long, except for the sweets that the dealers had at some of the tables, specially at the Miniatures Show (the last one i visited) where some dealers even had fine cookies from overseas! Awesome day! I took over 200 pictures with my phone, I will open a gallery or album to share with you when I transfer all to my PC. 

Over all, everything is as Heidi said. The Bishop show is the largest, with lots of international dealers. Excellent merchandise, pricey. I saw lots and lots of dolls, all sizes, more smaller scales all around, and much more modern furniture. Lots of food, pottery, furniture,dolls, accessories. Not a lot of dollhouses, except for the smaller scales that were surprisingly abundant at all shows. One of the local dealers that I visited was the Kummerows, they were both there and if you contact them they will make you some lamps at $95 each. Also visited Karen, from Minis by Karen. She has the last items from the couple that had their trailer stolen. And I visited D Anne Ruff, she was also there with lots of her kits. Another customer won me and bought the last 1/4 scale furniture set that she had available. The last known by lots of you dealer that I visited was Debbie Young from Young at Heart. They had lots of their kits available, including some already retired from their web-page like the Cabin kit, with an awesome kitchen and bathroom sets that one lady bought for $400+ 

The 3 Blind Mice is more modest, the smallest and with the cheapest prices (not cheap cheap). You can find here stuff that you are probably looking for and is nowhere else to be found. Vintage items, retired items. I found here a bunch of the 1:144 scale Northeastern scale kits. I have the phone # and email of the dealer if anyone is interested.Not sure if I can post it here. I also loved the kits from the M & R couple. Very nice people!

At the Miniatures Show you will find more American dealers, the ones that we shop from on a daily basis. I spoked with Robin Betterley's daughter (Robin wasn't there). They had tons of items. By the way, i found out that the kits that some of us bought from Etsy are in fact smaller that the kits that they sale at the store. The Betterleys made this smallest kits specially for NAME to be a dollhouse for a small dollhouse. I was told that we need smaller furniture for this tiny houses. The Hearts Desire people were here too with lots of 1/4 scale merchandise. I visited also SDK who had lots and lots of small scale items. At this show one dealer had silent auctions. 

It was an intense day, raining a lot at the end, but all worth it. I wish I had more $ available but even with a tight budget you will have lots of fun, guaranteed!

P.D. i found and some other ladies agreed yesterday that the best days are the preview days, it is more expensive to get in, but you can go all 3 days when you pay for the preview. Less people, more merchandise!

• Like 1

Carmen - glad you got to go! Sounds like you had a fabulous time.

I got to the 2 smaller shows last night- got to Miniature Show about 5 pm. I was pleasantly surprised by how many more actual dealers were at their tables - this is an improvement over last year. Was sad to find out Cutest Things didn't make it - apparently she hurt her back and is in severe pain.  I plan to stop back today now that I've had some time to think about things I saw. I did get some Itsy Bitsy wallpaper. Yeah, I know....huge purchase! There was a dealer there who I will go back to and buy a few - small metal embellishments - again to adorn furniture. I also may indulge in some Les Chin wallpaper - doubt I can spell it!

The 3 Blind Mice show was as expected- but I did grab some sheer curtains from Designs By Janet, and bought some tiny wood trim from a small scale dealer -Teresa's Miniature Creations. This trim is probably for 1/2 scale but my intent is to attach to furniture as embellishments. More to come, including pictures. 

Headed out to the Bishop Show today. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, miniaddicted said:

Carmen - glad you got to go! Sounds like you had a fabulous time.

I got to the 2 smaller shows last night- got to Miniature Show about 5 pm. I was pleasantly surprised by how many more actual dealers were at their tables - this is an improvement over last year. Was sad to find out Cutest Things didn't make it - apparently she hurt her back and is in severe pain.  I plan to stop back today now that I've had some time to think about things I saw. I did get some Itsy Bitsy wallpaper. Yeah, I know....huge purchase! There was a dealer there who I will go back to and buy a few - small metal embellishments - again to adorn furniture. I also may indulge in some Les Chin wallpaper - doubt I can spell it!

The 3 Blind Mice show was as expected- but I did grab some sheer curtains from Designs By Janet, and bought some tiny wood trim from a small scale dealer -Teresa's Miniature Creations. This trim is probably for 1/2 scale but my intent is to attach to furniture as embellishments. More to come, including pictures. 

Headed out to the Bishop Show today. 

Heidi, I wish I could go again today, because it is happening to me too, that I am remembering everything now, and could use some stuff that I didn't get yesterday. Oh, well! next year hopefully! Have fun today!!

• Like 1