Repairing wooden floor?

CraftyGramZ

Working on restoring the DuraCraft VH-600 dollhouse that my friend gave to me.  The bottom floor is nice wood? slat. It is a bit loose in lots of places but I would like to save it. I am wondering if there is some type of "wash" to spread over the top that would help to reseal the pieces.   Also wondering about options to smooth out the perimeter walls on the inside.  They are some type of wood "ruffled" on inside and out.  Strange looking, they had wallpaper glued to them but you could see the unevenness.   Still working on getting photos to upload.  Problem with sizing although I have resized them.  Taking them with my iphone.

So much great info on this forum. Good to learn from others who have traveled this mini world.

Pati

Someone will come to your rescue I am sure.  I know what I would do, but it's probably not what the seasoned experts think is the right way to fix this problem.  

It would be so helpful if you can post a picture.  I understand your frustrations, it took me several hours to post pictures to an album I started yesterday.  I post stuff all the time from my phone, but just not directly.  I send it to myself in an email, then download it to my computer, and then upload it to the site.  But, if that is not an option for you, hopefully someone will also come to help you on this problem.

You will get the answers you need, in time.  I look forward to seeing the pictures of your house.

• Like 1

I love the wood floors that came with the Duracraft houses! I think I would get a small syringe and put tiny squirts of wood glue under the loose pieces, rub them down, then cover in wax paper and weight with something flat and heavy like books. Use just a tiny bit of glue so it doesn't seep out, and wipe up anything that does with a damp paper towel. After it's all dry you could sand it all, then put a coat of poly on it to make it shiny and smooth. I usually do 3 coats of poly, sanding after the first 2.

• Like 1

I use my iPhone for all photo uploads. I email them to myself. The phone gives me an option before the email is sent. It gives me size options. I usually pick the number closest to 500kb. Then I open the email and save the new photo to my phone’s photo icon again.

18 hours ago, CraftyGramZ said:

Working on restoring the DuraCraft VH-600 dollhouse that my friend gave to me.  The bottom floor is nice wood? slat. It is a bit loose in lots of places but I would like to save it. I am wondering if there is some type of "wash" to spread over the top that would help to reseal the pieces.   Also wondering about options to smooth out the perimeter walls on the inside.  They are some type of wood "ruffled" on inside and out.  Strange looking, they had wallpaper glued to them but you could see the unevenness.   Still working on getting photos to upload.  Problem with sizing although I have resized them.  Taking them with my iphone.

So much great info on this forum. Good to learn from others who have traveled this mini world.

Pati

The wood strips used for flooring are very thin, much like the wood siding strip and shingles from Greenleaf. I used to paint the base floor with rubber cement and then paint the back of the wood strips with rubber cement, and when it was all dry,, CAREFULLY lay the floors. burnishing each wood strip with the back of an old teaspoon.  It does occasionally let go over time, and if you don't want to rip it all out and start over with iron-on wood veneer strips cut to size, do go with Tracy's suggestion.

My SF555 and Cambridge also had the exterior walls that came in small sections of milled wood with tongue-and-groove.  Both were built before I discovered spackling compound, and I had the problem with both houses; less so with the Cambridge, as it was my second house; when I assembled the walls on that one I rammed the tongue part into the groove as tight as it would go.  Now I would give the assembled walls interior a skim coat of spackle to fill those remaining grooves and sand it smooth when it was dry.