Glencroft help for new builder, please!

Araden

Thank you so much for the links and pictures! You guys are really trying to help. I must be really obtuse, however. I still can’t tell if the two walls are supposed to line up straight or at two different levels before trim is added. I’m so sorry that I’m not seeing it. 

Once your stairs are in place against the inner wall the outer wall lines up against it; one side of the outer wall will join to the outside edge of the chimney back (like B, only joining) and the other edge will line up with the back of the foundation.  Have you done any dry fitting?  That is how you see how it will look.

I had assembled it (with glue) to the step of adding beams, before I decided to take apart and check the fit of these two walls. I have had a lot of trouble with this kit and bad cuts. Peices haven’t been fully cut or sometimes not even marked to show where the tabs and dips should be and I have had to cut them out of the main big peice going off of the drawing to what the shape they should be. It’s been a long, painstaking work, having to recut when trying to fit together. Now, at this step, I need to know how they should fit together to know if I need to alter something to make it fit correctly. I can’t tell with the instructions and drawings. The two walls in question, do they end up flush together, or one further out at a different level from the other? Is what I have pictured correct?

48C50D75-68FD-48E1-B919-83DB70622822.jpeg

05D9B884-7E84-4B89-8638-E78AAECD57C5.jpeg

Holly I think her question is-is A the left floor or is B the left floor. Does she have the floor reversed?  

@Araden f you dryfit as Holly suggests it might make more sense. What does the right wall look like? Is it one solid piece? If so, it goes to B. 

I have had to do the cutting since some pieces were not cut or marked from the big sheets. Please, what I’m asking is if the two walls form one flush wall that picture B suggests, or two different walls like A and my model forms. 

I thought I answered your question.

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Once your stairs are in place against the inner wall the outer wall lines up against it; one side of the outer wall will join to the outside edge of the chimney back (like B, only joining) and the other edge will line up with the back of the foundation...

8 hours ago, Araden said:

...what I’m asking is if the two walls form one flush wall that picture B suggests...

I went and looked long & hard at my Glencroft pub.  The edge of the outer wall piece (before half timbering) joins the edge of the chimney back piece to make it flush.  If you haven't cut away too much the outer wall piece will rest against the stairs and the edges will be flush with the rear of the foundation, as it shows in my pictures.

• Like 1

Rachael, I have a Glencroft that I bought already built. I'm having a problem posting photos on the forum, but I've put a couple in my blog for you.

Glencroft Chimney Wall Detail

You can see quite clearly that the stair wall with the trim sticks out about a quarter inch. It appears that some kind of caulk or Spackle was used to smooth the edge of the wall piece. (Your diagram A) This is contrary to Holly's build, in which the wall and chimney pieces are flush. (Your diagram B)

With two different results, I think this is a situation where you can go either way. Once the trim is on and the wall and chimney bricked or stuccoed, it's not going to make a lot of difference. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Araden said:

Gracious, thank you. Thank you so much, Kathie. Thank you so much everyone for taking time to help me. 

You're most welcome! I'm guessing most of us (if not all of us!) have faced similar challenges. We're here to share our experience as well as learn new things. Glad to be of help. :) 

• Like 1