I just got home from the vets

Ms. Mini

I just got home from the vets. My dog Syndi has been progressivly getting worse for the past year. First her vision went, then she lost her hearing, shes had sezures. But she was the best little dachshund a girl could ask for. I had her since I was 7 years old. Well the past week she got severly worse. And today my mom brought her in to the vets because she couldnt walk and was breathing very heavely. I got the call while i was on my lunch break at work. They were going to put her to sleep. Her liver was alot bigger than it should be, her heart rate was at 200 and her breathing was getting worse. They gave her some calming medicine to keep her ok tell i arrived. Poor thing looked so helpless. I held her in my arms before they let her go to rest. She was so peaceful, and it was also one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

I'm not really in the halloween spirt anymore. Thank you so much for listening I just really needed to vent. I know she lived a good 14 year life and that she is in a much better place now.

-Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I am so sorry for your loss. It hurts so much to lose a pet. When you have had her so for so long, it's hard to recall a time before you had her, or to imagine what life will be like without her. My dachshund Leopold (red dog in my avatar) died earlier this year, and the grief is still so raw. Do you mind if I hold you as I cry with you?

PS I am making a roombox memorializing all my dachsies, past and present. A kind miniaturist gave me a mini dachshund wallpaper printie. If you ever decide to do a dachsie project (it might help--it's helping me) I will be happy to send the file.

Jeri

Jenny,

Please accept my sincerest condolences on your loss. Losing an animal to most people (including me) is like losing a child. I know because I have been an 'animal' person all my life. I have an Associates Degree in Veterinary Technology and volunteered for years at the humane society where I used to live until my husband and I moved to Florida. Not to mention seven cats, two gerbils and a husband who is very understanding about it.

The grieving process is a natural reaction, just try not to be too hard on yourself. Fourteen in 'dog years' would put her in what you and I would call 'geriatic years'. When we get older, our body doesn't always function the way it should and if her body was in the condition that your vet said it was in, it was her body that was failing her, not you.

Hope this helps, Susan

Grieve Not

Grieve not,

nor speak of me with tears,

but laugh and talk of me

as if I were beside you...

I loved you so --

'twas Heaven here with you.

Isla Paschal Richardson

You have my sincere condolences. I too have held my 'babies' while they quietly went to sleep. It's an awful, overwhelming thing to go through, but remember that this was best for her. Nor more pain and I really truly believe that eventually, when you get to heaven, she'll be there, tail-wagging and anxious to see you.

It takes a long time to get over these loses...I can still shed tears over each and every one of my pets that have gone before me. But remember her as she was when she was younger and how much pleasure and love she gave you and know that you did the right thing and were there for her at the end.

God bless you and remember that it's OK to cry for your loss.

Jenny, I am so sorry for your huge loss. I have also held a furbaby as they died. It is such a hard thing to go through. I think it does help to have some kind of memorial item to keep, like a roombox.

<<<Sending you comforting hugs>>>

So sorry to hear your sad news - I, too, am crying with/for you. It is the hardest thing in the world to let a beloved pet go - but just as you cared for Syndi her whole life long, so it was that she trusted and depended upon you to ease her passing from this life. She knew your love was with her right up to the very end - and that's a beautiful memory to hold onto. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you and your family. Grief is the price we pay for all the joy our loved ones give us while they're with us.

Losing a pet is like losing a member of the family and you do have my sincerest condolences. I have had many furry children over my life time and remember each and every one of them and I will never forgot any of them. This year I lost one cat and one dog and it broke my heart.

You must remember all of the good times you had with your little one and the love that he had for you and believe that he is probably still hanging around you but now you just can't see him.

Katharina

I'm so very sorry! I think one of the hardest...yet sometimes one of the "best" things we can do is help our furkids move to the Rainbow Bridge. It breaks my heart every every time, but you must know that your sweet dog isn't suffering anymore, and is at peace. Hugs to you. :banana:

Jenny,

Please know that my prayers are with you. I am still mourning my beloved sheltie Brandi who crossed the Rainbow bridge 4 years ago. And tomorrow our cat Tigger who was her playmate will join her. I know how tough this is for you. There is apoem called the Rainbow Bridge which has helped me somewhat, I have included the link for you to read.

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

I hope this will bring you some comfort.

Roni

I truly I appreciate all your love and suppport everyone. I just woke up from a 3 hour nap. I really needed that . I just called to see how my mom was doing, she is still quite devestated. When my boyfriends dog was laid to rest last year his step mom made this memorial frame for him. She used the poem " Rainbow Bridge - A Dog's Prayer" and printed it on rainbow paper and attached a picture of him to it and framed it. I wanted to do something like that as well. The vets were so nice and gave us as much times as we wanted with Syndi before and after she departed. They said they would make a paw print in a mold for us to keep. And we kept her collar that has her doggy tags shes had for at least 10 years. I miss her so much, I keep thinking about all the little things. But I do know that it was the right decision to let her go.

Now I was hoping maybe one of you has a good dog poem that I could maybe use for my memorial? I like that rainbow bridge poem but i want something a little more loving i guess. does that make sense? http://vabutter.tripod.com/rainbowbridge/id23.html

Thank you again for all your kind words,

Jenny

Oh Jenny

I'm so sorry to hear of losing your beloved pet. I know exactly how you are feeling. We had to put our sweet springer spaniel to sleep almost 2 years ago and I still miss her so much. She was 15 years old. I guess we just want them to last forever. They become a part of your family. I have not got another dog, I don't think we could ever find one as sweet as she was. Maybe some day. I hope you feel better soon. :banana: