Fancy wood trims, needed

Thimble Hall

Hi I am searching the net for fancy wood trims, not by the foot stuff like base boards or crown moldings. I am looking for shapes. fleur de lis or rosettes that sort of thing . I want them for decoration on my caravan, Also I am looking for inspiration for  more upright pieces, I guess they could be fancy flat fence posts or balustrades to add detail to the outside. I did find some laser cut railings but they were all joined together and I am not sure I could separate them.

I will continue to look but if anyone knows of a company that deals in these things I would appreciate it.

The picture shows a caravan side that is decorated, I don;t want these exact trims but you see what I mean

JP2.jpg

Those top pieces almost look like clock hands. Maybe look in the section at the craft store that has little random unfinished wood parts. Or scrapbook section....I can’t say I’ve seen anything like that designed specifically for minis. There’s Victorian Woodworks or Unique Miniatures, two possibilities to try. 

1 minute ago, Debsrand56 said:

Maybe these?  http://heritagelaserworks.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17

They also do some nice individual balusters that may work for your upright pieces (particularly on page 2):  http://heritagelaserworks.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_43

This was the other store I couldn't remember the name of. Thanks for the reminder Deb. :D 

OOh thanks a lot friends, Heritage  is a very good start. I can see quite a few things that might work for this project and some that won't but they are must have's anyway as they are fabulous. I could shop all day among those trims and things

Karin /Tracy the pieces used in the picture were from Unique but  they no longer list them

I bought a bunch of trims for my wagon - similar to these in the pic - probably the same that you said - all joined together.  I'm not going to cut them apart as they fit perfectly where I want them to fit.  I bought them through a local miniature shop but she bought them in for me from Handley House.

Thank you Rebecca it seems we are trolling the same road. I finally got to chance to go to  my pick up office yesterday and collected my Queenie and spent the night looking at it.. Do you have any tips before I start,  re painting  some parts beforehand or not. Did you find you had to change anything or did you find any snags. Much appreciate any ideas as I want this to be just right.

• Like 1

To clarify when I said Victorian Woodworks, it's Victorian Dollhouse Woodworks. Sam, glad I'm not the only one with memory problems lol. 

Another thought, I see a lot of small silicone molds these days sold on etsy and eBay. Meant to be used with fimo/polymer clay. Not necessarily sold for 1/12 but that might be something to check out too. 

• Like 1

Wow....so many tips....so many snags!!  Really, all you can do is start at the start and work your way through.  There is so much to it, that you're better off asking about particular bits rather than as a whole.  Today I'm finishing my roof and working on the window bars.  There are pieces I'm not perfectly happy with - but I realise that realistically, that will always be the case.  The good thing is that I can cover up little bits fairly easily.  While I love the T&G, it would certainly be farrrrr easier without it!  What colours are you thinking of?  Feel free to message me and we can chat about our caravans off the forum!

Tracy, I heard there's going to be another dragon bed at the show :) Lucky you, take some pictures for us. I'm curious to see what Michael Reynolds charges for his paintings...I don't dare ask on fb...like if you have to ask you can't afford it type thing lol...have fun! 

• Like 1

Just now, KathieB said:

Select bits of heavy cotton lace (tablecloths, etc., as well as strips) when painted can look like carved elements. 

its cut from paper lace doilies also work well.

Just now, havanaholly said:

its cut from paper lace doilies also work well.

Yes, but the paper is much thinner. It works better for fancy plaster interior decor, which is more delicate than the wooden elements on the exterior of the caravan. 

I've also bought some 3D scrapbooking stickers which I may or may not use....trying to figure my paint job for exactly this at the moment....

Great ideas, thank you all. I have tons of lace all types and weights. Karin I saw some open faced molds on Aardvarks just today I could use scrap porcelain or regular low fire clay and fire those. some were very suitable. I will look for some Fimo types too.

Colors for my Queenie, well right now I have a long list of combinations, a Hunter Green or Jade with cream and a touch of very dark pink  is close to the top as is burgundy with gold but then I have a picture of   a very pastel one in my head too also a deep blue/pale blue with white is in there with a chance. I am not a green lover but a grass green with a pastel green and a lot of white is calling me too.

I may just start with the furniture kits and the stove

• Like 1

If I was ever to do another, I'd probably go pastel....there is a gorgeous one here....

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/125960120811981800/visual-search/?x=7&y=7&w=235&h=273

Something about it being more muted than the 'normal' vardo makes me interested in who would live in it!

3 hours ago, Shareb said:

If I was ever to do another, I'd probably go pastel....there is a gorgeous one here....

https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/125960120811981800/visual-search/?x=7&y=7&w=235&h=273

Something about it being more muted than the 'normal' vardo makes me interested in who would live in it!

Beautiful bunch of wagons, so many different types it would be hard to know where to start!  I must admit the  Wagon intrigues me.....

• Like 1

Oh  ho that one is lovely. I haven't  been in one that detailed.

My grandson in law was here today , he is a specialized welder, he is going to make me some metal wheel rims.I just have to decide what metal I want them in. he suggested copper, interesting  but not very authentic.

PS Barb I haven't forgotten your patterns, still waiting for some.