UP house, continued

PapaJKK

Hello all,  again. I have just posted some additional pictures of my 'in progress' UP house in the gallery album: UP House. I will post more soon. This house started as a model kit that was not intended to be a dollhouse. I purchased the kit on Etsy from Birdswoodshack as their "Large UP House Model Kit Laser Engraved". As such, all the windows and doors were engraved into the siding. I cut those opening out to fit commercial windows, but I scratchbuilt the doors. All the windows needed to be modified to fit the 1/8" walls. I added clapboard siding and will add a shingled roof. The interior did have the floors for both the downstairs and upstairs, and a stairs kit. I added hardwood flooring and moved the stairs, as well as using a different stairs kit. Since there was no way to access the interior, I had to decide how to do that. I finally settled on making two walls removeable, the yellow side wall and the lavender back wall. All the windows but the two smallest ones are opening, and the doors are pin-hinged so they open as well. Most of the wallpaper was printed on my inkjet printer. The green palm tree paper in the 'kitchen' and the striped gold paper upstairs 'bedroom' are scrapbook paper, as well as the 'glittersparkle' paper I am using on the ceiling. I have determined that  the house is 1/16 scale, so all the 1/12 furniture I have is far too large for it. I am in the process of finding some 1/16 scale furniture. As some of you know, that is not an easy task. The house is finished except for the roof, which is proving to be a bit more problematic than I had hoped. But, all is well and it should be finished in time for my Granddaughter's 7th birthday the 20th of this month. More to come, soon. Later

• Like 1

Excellent work so far.  One of my all time favorite disney movies.  They were able to convey one of the best love stories in such a short montage, while most movies can’t do this using an entire film.  I look forward to the finished product. 

4 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Can you use 1-inch minis patterns for furniture but resize them to 1:16? 

I don't see why not.  I resize them to 1:24.  Kris puts a square on her pattern sheets that you can size to exactly one inch.  If you want to adjust the pattern size, you just adjust the size of the picture until the square fits your gauge.  In my case, I make sure that the square is 1/2 inch.  I hope this makes sense.  I also do adjust some of the materials I use to make things work a little better--1/4" foam board I adjust to 1/8" thickness of mat board, etc.

27 minutes ago, Samusa said:

I think Petite Princess and Lundby furniture are 1/16 aren't they? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :) 

Lundby ranges from 1:16 to 1:18 depending on from when it is made and also a bit as in if it is a tiny item as to accomodate the small Fingers playing with it as over here Lundby issold in the toys aisle/toy shops (but they do render a LOT of attention from the adults to though :) 

Resizing a 1/12 pattern to 1/16 would be no problem. I would just reduce the 1" square to 3/4". If no square,  then size accordingly. Being a retired high school math teacher, this scale stuff is easy-peasy. My railroad models are 1:20.3, and my R/C cars range from 1/6 to 1/18 scale. Thanks to everyone for all their positive comments on the UP house.

John

• Like 1

Also, thank you for all the 1/16 furniture information. I have picked up a few pieces from ebay, but will definitely look at the a

Amazon and Target stuff. I already have Carl, Russell, and Dug by Funko Pop, and a plush Kevin. Not exactly the right size, but close enough.

John

53 minutes ago, PapaJKK said:

Not exactly the right size, but close enough.

A 7-year-old is not going to notice discrepancies in scale. In fact, don't be surprised if unrelated characters in other scales tend to move in or at least visit from time to time, and you quite possibly may come across a pony in the bathroom at some point. :D 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KathieB said:

A 7-year-old is not going to notice discrepancies in scale. In fact, don't be surprised if unrelated characters in other scales tend to move in or at least visit from time to time, and you quite possibly may come across a pony in the bathroom at some point. :D 

LOL for sure thanks for the chuckle 

LOL! Yes, I am sure that Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle and other Little Ponies will be invited for a visit. Most likely Moana will show up, as well as Poppy and other Trolls.

• Like 1

John, even if it's the new version the remaining patterns are in both 1:16 and 1:12 scale.  I have several furniture books for 1:12 scale that I reduced the patterns to furnish my 1:24 builds.