Wallpaper and Flooring

beanball76

22 minutes ago, beanball76 said:

Question - Should I wallpaper and floor as I build or do it at the end? 

It depends on the complexity of the build and your personal preference. When you do the dry fit, you may find areas that will be difficult to reach when the parts are glued. Those areas you'll want to decorate before gluing. Some of us decorate as we go and some complete the build and then decorate. It's up to you. There is no right or wrong way.

As Kathie said, it depends on the complexity of the house. I build basic box houses so I do it after the build. I like to wrap the paper around the corners so that the corners are covered. Matching patterns is easier for me after it’s built. Plus I use tapewire under my paper so the build has to be finished first. And I’ve been know to drop glue or paint on flooring so that waits until the end.  All things to consider before making your decision.

Hi Chrisina! I'm on my first build too. I went for painted walls so I did this before they went up (I'll spackle corners and touch up later). For the floors, I made a template out of stock card and glued the tiles and 'hardwood' planks onto this: once the rooms are built I trimmed the template to fit. I'm installing doors and windows as I go. I would suggest you dry build it all and sit back and ponder how you want the house to look and see what can be done in advance.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎56‎:‎59‎, beanball76 said:

Question - Should I wallpaper and floor as I build or do it at the end? 

Dry fit first.  Then you will see the places you wont be able to get to once it's glued up.  If I'm scribing floors I do it before any assembly.  I usually use iron-on wood veneer to make my floors, so if I can't get my iron into the space I do those before assembly also.  I tend to work floor by floor, so I prime after the dry fit, before gluing, after masking off the areas where I'm going to glue parts together.  There's a lot of tedium in the prep work, but the finished results are worth it, IMO.