Still Alive

pdlnpeabody

I have been neglecting the forum lately due to work, but I’ve been on my back for much of the past two weeks.

On Tuesday (2/27), I was hit by a car while riding my motorcycle for work.  I was supposed to drop off a few documents at the courthouse, but ended up in th ER instead.  I also forgot to latch my helmet, so I have a knot on my forehead from face planting on the asphault without it.

Needless to say, I didn’t get away from this one unscathed.  I had a metal rod inserted into my broken femur about a week ago.  Along with broken ribs, I broke my left foot and arm, too.  I have been in inpatient rehab since Tuesday and will probably be here for at least a week.  I can’t walk (or breath very much) yet, but I will eventually.  

8 minutes ago, pdlnpeabody said:

One of my co-workers took a photo as I was about to get transported to the ER, but I’m unable to post it.

That may be just as well, from the sound of it.  And you are still alive to tell about it.

• Like 1

You’re so right, Holly.  The bike was a mess and totaled the car.  I have to say, after two nights in the ICU I have a completely different appreciation for nurses and what they do for people.

The problem now is following all the restrictions in rehab.  I’m more mobile than they will allow, but there’s alarms on everything, so I’m stuck in a bed or wheelchair 24/7.

They won’t let me work with sharp tools, so I can’t work on the house until I get home.  It is on my schedule between job hunting once I get home.

Thank you, Anna.  

I am relieved that I still have my leg, knowing how that type of collision usually results in amputation.  My DW has been taking it better than I thought she would.  When I was lying on the pavement, a first responder asked for my DW’s phone number.  I could barely breathe, but I did tell him: “don’t call her, she will kill me!”

I hope you will start to feel better soon, Jeremy. Don't push yourself beyond what you are supposed to do. Rehab requires patience.... 

• Like 1

Thank you Chris and Amy.  I’ll be walking again in a couple of months.

Deb, we’re thinking the same thing.  I need to find a full time job (my job ends in 20 days and I ran out of PTO last week), but I plan to spend some time on the house.  I’m working on 2D art while I’m in rehab as they don’t allow sharp tools on the property.

Thanks Shannon,

I'm not sure about the “luck” either- I have survived more than most, but I don’t get away with it unscathed.

1 hour ago, pdlnpeabody said:

...I'm not sure about the “luck” either- I have survived more than most, but I don’t get away with it unscathed.

Jeremy's guardian angel has pulled out all his hair and probably has no fingernails left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Jeremy's guardian angel has pulled out all his hair and probably has no fingernails left.

And probably chain smokes. 

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Thanks for telling us about it, Jeremy. I will be praying for your speedy recovery!  So sorry this happened to you, but glad it wasn't an worse! Follow all the doctor's orders and get well quickly! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, CJ!

Except for the restriction of using only a walker (I’ve been using crutches), I’m trying to follow the doctor’s orders.  I did add a detail to the cast on my arm- a tire track.  It kind of answers the more commonly asked question.  I’m still not permitted to return to work yet, but I plan to in a couple more weeks.

• Like 2