Clay doll molds

Shareb

Hi all,

Has anyone used the polymer clay doll making molds?  Is there one better than others?  Are they difficult to use?  Is there a 1:12 scale mold?  Would love to hear of your experiences please.

Patricia Rose makes one. Sells on eBay and at her website. Haven’t tried one but she does have tutorials on her website I believe. Patricia Rose Studio. She also does porcelain molds 

• Like 1

I bought a polymer press mold from Patricia Rose off of eBay. I have yet to try it. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XPatricia+rose+press+mold.TRS0&_nkw=Patricia+rose+press+mold&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Patricia+rose

I have never used Polymer clay, so I haven't worked up the courage yet. I just need to bite the bullet and give it a go!

• Like 1

Sue Heaser has a book to make and dress 1:12 dollhouse dolls using polymer clay that includes patterns you can trace to make the dolls' body parts. I got started with that book to make full-body sculpt poseable dollhouse dolls and James Carrington's book to work on faces, hands & feet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

I bought a polymer press mold from Patricia Rose off of eBay. I have yet to try it. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XPatricia+rose+press+mold.TRS0&_nkw=Patricia+rose+press+mold&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Patricia+rose

I have never used Polymer clay, so I haven't worked up the courage yet. I just need to bite the bullet and give it a go!

I haven't heard of Patricia Rose so I'll have a look.  We've used polymer clay on and off for years.  Being a homeschooling mum we did oodles of crafts and my daughter became quite profficient at it!  Moreso than me!  It's quite fun when you get the hang of it.....

2 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Patricia Rose makes one. Sells on eBay and at her website. Haven’t tried one but she does have tutorials on her website I believe. Patricia Rose Studio. She also does porcelain molds 

I wonder if the porcelain molds would work the same?

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Sue Heaser has a book to make and dress 1:12 dollhouse dolls using polymer clay that includes patterns you can trace to make the dolls' body parts. I got started with that book to make full-body sculpt poseable dollhouse dolls and James Carrington's book to work on faces, hands & feet.

Thanks for that Holly - I'll look those up!  Love the Stouts!

If you used porcelain molds you would have to take a cast from both halves then put them together.

There is another option if you have access to porcelain molds and you don't have a kiln. There is a pourable non firing composition medium you can buy. I used to use it when I taught porcelain doll making, We would do the heads in porcelain and the bodies in composition slip, as this is how many of the original dolls were made.. Back when I used it the best one was a latex one, but there were others.. Once removed from the molds and left to air dry it is incredibly strong, even if you drop it. We used to paint it with acrylic paints, or we used an air gun for  gentle even coverage, When the basic coat is on then paint it with acrylics. I am certain there is some types  still available although I have not used it for many years. I developed an allergy to latex so have not bothered with it since. .

Try looking up  latex slip  for doll making or compostition slip. I think you will find it.

Good luck

• Like 1

Hello everybody

I have 3 Patricia Rose molds and I tried them. I don't know what I did wrong or if my polymerclay is too soft but in the end the result is not good, according to me. When I pulled out the entire body, the clay strechted a little (even if I put it first in the freezer to cold it before popping the clay out) and when I seamed the lines I lost the shape of the body and it stretched again!! So I decided to use it only  by parts : torso, legs, arms, head and work each parts alone. Of course it is time consuming! The result of the body parts is on the first picture

Now I sculpt by myself without the help of any mold using the Katherine Deway technic that suits me better. I can work and have the result that I want : Gollum and his precious for example

IMG_7175.JPG

My Precious - Copie.JPG

• Like 4

Porcelain doll molds are designed larger than the finished product because porcelain slip on average shrinks by 17%.  If you want to use a mold that is designed for porcelain for clay you have to put a release agent in the mold before putting in the clay. A product called Flumo used to be available and you could pour that into your porcelain molds. It would shrink similar to porcelain slip and did not require a kiln. The texture was similar to plaster of paris and was fairly durable and you could paint with acrylics.  Depending on what type of doll you are going for: Jamie Carrington has a series of DVD's that used to be sold by a company called Mind Storm. He also had a book. Although I have some of the plastic molds to be used with polymer clay I have not tried them yet.

• Like 2

I’ve used the polymer clay molds by Patricia Rose and I’ve always had good results. I mostly used them for my daughters school projects though. My youngest even used one mood with Paperclay (that one didn’t turned out as well) but it worked for her project. To keep polymer clay from sticking to the molds, I lightly dusted it with talc powder. 

• Like 2

I have tried molding with clay but I don't think I'm very good at it, and it isn't enjoyable enough for me to practise in order to get better.  Nathalie - your sculpting is amazing!!

10 hours ago, Nathaliedollsmini said:

Now I sculpt by myself without the help of any mold using the Katherine Deway technic that suits me better. I can work and have the result that I want : Gollum and his precious for example

My Precious - Copie.JPG

• Like 1

Found a compo..Reynolds casting latex. This very different to the liquid papier mache one, which I thought was awful, but this should be the same as the one I used. The original company has just sold out to Reynolds.

• Like 1