Any tips and tricks for using downloaded wallpaper?

Shareb

Hi all - thinking now about what wallpaper I want to use in the wagon.  I've found some beautiful papers but I'm considering some downloadable rather than pre-printed.  Are there any particular tips or tricks to printing downloaded wallpaper?  If I use a pattern that hasn't been sized for 1:12 scale, would I just print until the pattern 'seems' about right?  Do I print on plain paper, photo paper??  Do you seal once printed??  What's the best way to achieve an excellent outcome???

Thank you all in advance!

• Like 1

I have printed my own wallpaper for smaller scales. If you aren't sure about the scale of the pattern and what scale you want it to be, then size it several ways (making note) and print out smaller squares and see which one works for you.  Ink is expensive, so I try to save it.

I have used regular printer paper and thicker resume paper. I also used off-white paper for some patterns I wanted to look older/warmer. Since I don't expect my houses to be exposed to a lot of sunlight, I don't worry about fading. Maybe over many years - but I have some 10 year old printed items (from long ago with earlier versions of ink on regular paper) and they have held up fine.

And I always spray with a matte sealer (I happen to use Aleene's matte sealer spray). 

Printing your own can be fun. It is almost mandatory for smaller scales. That said - printing my own has made me appreciate the Broadnax papers for all the nice patterns and rich colors. Broadnax makes it easy. But printing your own will work fine.

• Like 2

Oh! I have even done digital downloads from etsy for a few bucks (for lots of patterns)  and resized them into nice wallpapers (when I really want certain patterns). Most things you can find online and DIY.

• Like 1

The thing I always look out for when choosing to download wallpaper is the ppi / dpi (pixels / dots per inch) of the image. The higher the better. Most images on google are 72dpi so they print out like kaka. The lowest that's semi-acceptable to me is 150dpi. 300dpi is preferable but rare to come by so I usually settle for something in between. Just keep an eye out for the higher dpi's.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Oh! I have even done digital downloads from etsy for a few bucks (for lots of patterns)  and resized them into nice wallpapers (when I really want certain patterns). Most things you can find online and DIY.

Thanks Jenn - yes, I've been looking at some on Etsy that are downloadable.  I'm off to our biggest craft chain store (here in NZ) tomorrow and thought that I'll look at scrapbooking paper before deciding what to do.

42 minutes ago, kokomo said:

The thing I always look out for when choosing to download wallpaper is the ppi / dpi (pixels / dots per inch) of the image. The higher the better. Most images on google are 72dpi so they print out like kaka. The lowest that's semi-acceptable to me is 150dpi. 300dpi is preferable but rare to come by so I usually settle for something in between. Just keep an eye out for the higher dpi's.

Thanks Toni - a very good tip to remember!!!!

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2018‎ ‎3‎:‎24‎:‎46‎, rbytsdy said:

I've used quite a bit of printed wallpaper-- I print it on cardstock and spray twice with matte spray. (Tried spraying only once-- it smudged and taught me a lesson! :dunce:) I've used photoshop to manipulate patterns, for example for my half-scale Rosedale.

Must get some matte spray while I'm out tomorrow!!!

8 hours ago, Shareb said:

...look at scrapbooking paper before deciding what to do...

Other than printie wallpaper one of our members sent me I use scrapbook paper sometimes regular dollhouse wallpaper, 1:1 wallpaper in tiny prints and giftwrap with suitably small designs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Other than printie wallpaper one of our members sent me I use scrapbook paper sometimes regular dollhouse wallpaper, 1:1 wallpaper in tiny prints and giftwrap with suitably small designs.

Don't leave out cotton fabric. Some quilting prints can be used very effectively. It adheres easily with liquid starch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KathieB said:

Don't leave out cotton fabric. Some quilting prints can be used very effectively. It adheres easily with liquid starch.

I haven't used cotton fabric - yet.

• Like 1

Spent a lovely two hours this morning in a craft shop and then an emporium.  Unfortunately the scrapbooking paper's patterns were all way too large for 1:12.  I also had a really good look at the quilting fabrics etc and couldn't find exactly what I'm after.  So I think I'll 'purchase' the downloadable papers from Etsy that I really like.  They're not overly expensive and at least once I've downloaded them I'll have them forever so to speak.

I spent some time in a craft shop looking at a whole aisle of scrapbooking paper and they were all way too large, so far I can't find anything I like, I may have to resort to trying to make my own.  Still waiting for the rock siding I ordered quite a while ago, picked up some paint in the colors I want, but been way to busy with diasters to do much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I spent some time in a craft shop looking at a whole aisle of scrapbooking paper and they were all way too large, so far I can't find anything I like, I may have to resort to trying to make my own.  Still waiting for the rock siding I ordered quite a while ago, picked up some paint in the colors I want, but been way to busy with diasters to do much.

Oh dear - disasters don't sound overly wonderful!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have done this but had a few issues with the ink bleeding and running when gluing to the walls. Sealing the facing surface did not help much. But I was printing it with an ink jet printer and the ink is water soluble. So get it laser printed, the ink does not dissolve in water easily, then seal for extra protection. If you print onto light card it may help the water coming through but I can never card to the exact right shape and it looks gappy. I like to wallpaper the dollhouse in the traditional way - paste it on then trim to fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annagr said:

I have done this but had a few issues with the ink bleeding and running when gluing to the walls. Sealing the facing surface did not help much. But I was printing it with an ink jet printer and the ink is water soluble. So get it laser printed, the ink does not dissolve in water easily, then seal for extra protection. If you print onto light card it may help the water coming through but I can never card to the exact right shape and it looks gappy. I like to wallpaper the dollhouse in the traditional way - paste it on then trim to fit.

You might try sealing both front and back to prevent the inkjet ink running. Or use rubber cement or contact cement, which is not water based.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2018, 3:58:55, KathieB said:

You might try sealing both front and back to prevent the inkjet ink running. Or use rubber cement or contact cement, which is not water based.

I didn't try sealing the back. Good thought. I wasn't keen on the other adhesive types since they grab too fast and I had a problem with wrinkles (in the paper not on my face, although coming to think of it ...) and not being able to position the paper squarely.

Edited by Annagr
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I wallpapered and I'm happy with it.  I re-hung the door today.  There are a couple of bits where the wallpaper is either scrappy or doesn't quite meet up, around the door.  I was going to use a door frame to fix this but realised I can't because of the hinges.  I'd love some ideas on how to touch these bits up or hide them!large.IMG_20180409_172112-Optimized.jpg.

I'd use the smallest of fabric braid in a gold or a black . I have some it's like 1/32 in wide and very flat. Or black Dresden trim I have a black and it's very small with little dots on it . see link

http://www.alphastamps.com/Collage_Supplies-Dresden:_Black/c4_115/p21016/Tiny_Dot_Dresden_Borders_-_Black*/product_info.html

• Like 2

How about putting a small pediment type detail above the door, or a jewelry flourish??? It would jazz up the door a bit, and hide any imperfections (I didn't notice the wallpaper, until you pointed it out, and even then I had to really squint:crazyeyes:)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NellBell said:

I'd use the smallest of fabric braid in a gold or a black . I have some it's like 1/32 in wide and very flat. Or black Dresden trim I have a black and it's very small with little dots on it . see link

http://www.alphastamps.com/Collage_Supplies-Dresden:_Black/c4_115/p21016/Tiny_Dot_Dresden_Borders_-_Black*/product_info.html

Really good idea!  My only concern would be that in order to cover the whole hinge it would need to be wider.  I do have 3D scrapbooking stickers bought for this project but as yet unused, that could work well like this....

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I realize why you don't want to cover those hinges with trim, but the door does look just a tad bare without a frame.  I like Nell's suggestion.

It really does look bare!  I was wondering about curtains....

6 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

How about putting a small pediment type detail above the door, or a jewelry flourish??? It would jazz up the door a bit, and hide any imperfections (I didn't notice the wallpaper, until you pointed it out, and even then I had to really squint:crazyeyes:)

Yes you're right about some sort of flourish.  Okay, I shall play around today with lace, stickers, maybe wood and jewellery bits! :D 

55 minutes ago, Shareb said:

Really good idea!  My only concern would be that in order to cover the whole hinge it would need to be wider.  I do have 3D scrapbooking stickers bought for this project but as yet unused, that could work well like this....

It really does look bare!  I was wondering about curtains....

Yes you're right about some sort of flourish.  Okay, I shall play around today with lace, stickers, maybe wood and jewellery bits! :D 

You can start and stop at the hinges especially if you can find some type of scroll work  or go over the hinges just a bit 

I've just been looking through the pages of the McQueenie complete and surprisingly most people have just left it bare!!  Those who have put door frames in however, to my mind, look better.

Rebecca, can you help me please? I am just at the point of fitting the hinges.  The door is held securely  in place  with masking tape right now . I  have drilled tiny holes the same size as the pins and placed the hinges over the holes, then dropped the pins in. It has all lined up good but I have to secure them,the pins are a tiny bit loose .Did you glue the hinge  and pins  to the door etc.  I am really stuck now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thimble Hall said:

Rebecca, can you help me please? I am just at the point of fitting the hinges.  The door is held securely  in place  with masking tape right now . I  have drilled tiny holes the same size as the pins and placed the hinges over the holes, then dropped the pins in. It has all lined up good but I have to secure them,the pins are a tiny bit loose .Did you glue the hinge  and pins  to the door etc.  I am really stuck now.

I always put tiny drops of super glue in the holes and under the hinges just in case!!