Beacon Hill fireplaces + chimney kit bash

WestPaces

Hello Minipeople  :)

I have something I need advice on from someone more experienced than myself...

Looking at the house from the back, I want to move the fireplaces in the living room and the 2nd floor bedroom to the opposite wall (the one backing on to the stairwell). the realist in me insists I move the chimney to a position on the roof that will reflect this change. In place of the chimney, I would add another mansard window in the 3rd floor room (which will be the children's room :) Is this easily doable? would the chimney (shortened?) fit behind the tower?

Thoughts?

If the chimney is behind the tower, it will be over the stairwell, right? Seems to me that would look awkward but I may not be seeing your vision. Could you replace the chimney with a window and just not have a chimney? 

Instead of moving the fireplaces, might you consider replacing them with parlor stoves? That might give you more flexibility for furniture arranging. The stovepipe could go against the wall where it is placed and one could assume it travels upward between the walls. I doubt if anyone will check the roof to see where the smoke comes out. Same goes if you stay with the fireplaces. 

Doll houses often scoff at conventional building wisdom --- they are by their nature, after all, a suspension of belief, eh? 

• Like 1

Thank you Kathie! I think I will go with the fireplaces with this house (I'm thinking a Shaker house with stoves after the BH and the 'plantation' house from Craigslist :) ). I'll leave out the chimney. What about the placement of the chimney, will there be a hole where it is supposed to go? That's why I was thinking a replacement window - there will be no fireplace in this room.

13 hours ago, WestPaces said:

What about the placement of the chimney, will there be a hole where it is supposed to go? That's why I was thinking a replacement window - there will be no fireplace in this room.

Check the schematics. My chimney is already built, but the outer wall of the chimney appears to be part of the outer wall of the house. You'll need to cut off the chimney part and not punch out the hole for the fireplace opening but the wall should be solid. You'll have to cut an opening in the wall for the window, add a piece of cardstock to the mansard roof piece to form the window opening, and probably cut some bits and pieces to frame out the window. All of that is eminently doable. :) 

As I think about it, if you don't NEED the 3rd window, go ahead and keep the chimney. Just don't punch out the hole for the fireplace for a solid wall. It's not a large room. You may appreciate the blank wall to help with furniture placement. 

I can totally see why you considered putting the LR fireplace and 2nd floor BR fireplace on the opposite walls.  Also understand about the problem caused by moving them with the chimney coming up at the tower on the roof.

On my Beacon Hill rehab, we are keeping the 3rd floor fireplace (will make it a sitting area), but not putting in the 2nd floor BR or LR fireplaces.  I don't always make the best decisions when making changes to a dollhouse, but feel very comfortable with this change for now.  Plus fireplaces could be added later if I don't use them in a different house.

Have fun.