Chicken Thief!

CheckMouse

Had an interesting experience at the grocery store the other day...
I was heading north for the working-weekend, and wanted some lunch to eat along the way. No time to stop - didn't want fast food, so I decided to get some baked chicken pieces from our in-store deli. At the checkout stand I waited for the woman ahead of me to finish her purchases and move to the end of the counter. As the clerk rang up mine, the chicken package was the first thing through. (Piping hot and smelling wonderful!) The woman stopped, picked up my chicken, and kept walking. The clerk hollered at her to stop, that was not her package - but she kept going. He couldn't leave his station, so he called to one of the men bagging at the next counter to catch her. But he didn't see which one to follow, and the woman disappeared out the door - with my lunch!  :busted:

We were all just stunned!
The clerk then went back to the deli with me and made sure I got the order replaced, free of charge, of course! Maybe the woman was desperate and needed the food, but I've never experienced anything quite like that!

I once ordered at a busy fast food joint - the person in front of me ordered water and fries. And then as the orders were called and were placed on the counter he grabbed the biggest bag and took off.  No one checked anything back then.  But interesting to note that he paid for his fries and water. 

That is some bold grocery stealing - I wonder if it was a spur of the moment thing - she couldn't have been sure the chicken would be first through the checkout. She must have decided to seize the moment. And she must have paid cash for her groceries or else they can easily track her down via credit card. How strange.

That's so strange! A few months back a deli I go to circulated a security video of someone who came in to buy cigarettes, left, and then immediately came back in, walked up to two women who were dining, grabbed one of their sandwiches, and walked back out with it. It was bizarre. Even with the video I don't think they were able to do anything, when the deli workers saw him on the street later and called the police he was gone again by the time they showed up.

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Good Lord!  I think I'd have had to run after her and hit her with my cane to give me back my chicken!

I am now using a cane, Holly, and the thought did occur to me - after the fact!  But I didn't really see it happen. I was in the express lane, with only a few items, so was busy doing the credit card thing - focusing on hitting the right buttons (and not accidently donating a whole bunch of money to the current charity!).  The clerk, being on the other side of the counter, saw what she did. 

At least it was just food - which hopefully gave her some nourishment. Not cash, that could have been used for drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes. 

I had some kids come in one night when I was cashiering at a 7-11. Two of them tried to talk to me and distract me while the third grabbed a bunch of sandwiches and took off. I ran outside and locked the door, then called 911 on the outside pay phone. The cops caught the kid in a car up the street, waiting for his friends who were still locked in the store. Later they told me they were just going to cite him and let him leave, but he got so smart mouth that they decided to take him to jail.

CJ, you should put your story on notalwaysright.com .

• Like 1