Beacon Hill bedroom closet

Elsbeth

First off - I was amazed to see  a closet in the 2nd floor bedroom of my pre-built Beacon Hill. I had never noticed from any of the posted photos. And I don't think I've ever seen a closet as part of any other kit.

Secondly - was there ever a door included for the closet? Or is it just open? I'll want to add a door, but mine didn't come with one. Just curious. What a great house.

24 minutes ago, Elsbeth said:

Secondly - was there ever a door included for the closet? Or is it just open? I'll want to add a door, but mine didn't come with one. Just curious. What a great house

I'm still building, but as far as I can tell, no door is included in the kit. Not sure if there is trim for it.

Yes there is indeed a closet. There is also a door (marked 'closet door' sheet 8) which is just  the plain piece of wood you punch out. I embelished mine with coffee stirrers and balsa wood to make a 6 panel door. Wish I knew how to upload pics... it is very narrow though, I put in 2 shelves and a rail but it is too narrow for my little coathangers. Maybe a few hooks? 

41 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

Wish I knew how to upload pics

Do you store photos any place online? If so, you can put a link to a photo in a message. Or open an album here in the Gallery. You can link to photos there as well. 

I am closing up and hiding the closet behind wallpaper.  Playing around with furniture and the plan is to put an armoire that is part of bedroom set along that wall.  Have considered removing the part of the closet that sticks out into the hall, but have not checked it out well enough to start cutting the wood.  So not sure if I will attempt to do that.

1 hour ago, sparklepuppies said:

I also covered up the closet. I wanted the wall space. I didn't change anything in the hallway on the other side though.

I think I'm going to do the same. The closet is too far back to be able to see into it easily. I may put a non-opening door on it if I don't make it a flat wall.

Superb! I see what you mean about too shallow for hangers. What about cutting hangers and clothing in half vertically? When it's in place, no one will be able to tell it isn't a whole garment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Superb! I see what you mean about too shallow for hangers. What about cutting hangers and clothing in half vertically? When it's in place, no one will be able to tell it isn't a whole garment. 

It never would have occured to me to do that in a build. GENIUS!

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up using this "closet" to hide my wiring strip. Initially I thought about hiding it under the foundation, but then I realized it would be much easier to replace a fuse or do repairs if I had the main circuit in a more accessible place. I am curious if anyone else has used this space for hiding circuits, it's a great spot right in the 'middle' of the house.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2018, 6:00:18, thriftymini said:

I am closing up and hiding the closet behind wallpaper.  Playing around with furniture and the plan is to put an armoire that is part of bedroom set along that wall.  Have considered removing the part of the closet that sticks out into the hall, but have not checked it out well enough to start cutting the wood.  So not sure if I will attempt to do that.

FWICS, the "closet" is actually Greenleaf's way of putting some distance between the wing & the tower, so that the mansard roof can be a full mansard, & not a partial mansard like the small wing, which is flush against the other wide of the tower. There is another Greenleaf Beacon Hill  builder who did cut out the closet, & you can see the roof slant behind (or in front) of it, through the hole.

• Like 2