The Bar Room Box

Sable

4 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Some people used a fake water product that never really dries hard, and collects dust like a magnet.

I have Some lite that too, Think it is called scenic water, you sort of dig out a clump of the "stuff" put into a container andthen put that into a water bath to warm it so that it turns into a liquid, add whatever colour you want or just Pour it into whereyou want it to go. It is possible (or can even happen if stored in direct sunlight or the likes) to do over and over, ie re-heat and re-Pour.

I think this woman died a long time ago and everything was just stored away in a very hot Florida attic. Some of the plastic containers had turned yellow and crumbled as I opened them. I retrieved the beer mugs from the trash after I saw Emily’s, I’ll try to soak them in soapy water to see if the stickiness comes off. Worth a try. Any other ideas on how to preserve them? I agree they look like solid water.

If the soapy water doesn't work, try Goo Gone to get rid of the stickiness?

Besides nail polish, another thing you could try is water based gloss varnish. You can get it at Michaels in the craft paint section.

• 2 weeks later...

I sanded and restained the wood. I’m still working out the size of the box based on the final bar dimensions. This is a very rough dry fit. I’m also trying to decide if the bar top will be slate or wood. I ordered a wine cooler, cash register and expresso maker from Elf Miniatures. I’m going to try to find some mirrors to place on the sides of the copper along with some embellishments for the wood arch. By the way, that wood arch was hand carved. 

551B3157-6ACF-48F0-854F-C3F033EAC471.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Keifer said:

You could say it was “Arch Madness” :p

any way to get lights under that arch, it sure would set off that copper artwork. 

I just got the Arch Madness, hahaha, very appropriate. Yes, I plan on drilling through the top and inserting LED lights. My husband want lots of lighting.

@Keifer should I varnish the wood with a satin varnish or just really polish the wood with a soft cloth?

My two cents worth; give the wood a good rub with a wad of brown paper bag until it glows and finish with the soft cloth.  When we were researching real bars for my pub I was surprised how many bar tops were "leather" (probably naugahyde, not real leather).  Mine is based on a bar we checked out on one of our travels:

the finished bar

17 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

Love these!  Did you make them yourself?

Thank you very much. Yes. I stood in the jewelry section of Michael’s last night until a bracelet with these elongated copper and brass cones jumped out at me. I have about 20 dollhouse faucets which are all tarnished so I cut off the top handles, inserted a black bead on the top where the handle was and inserted a black bead to the pointed side of the cone and Crazy Glued  the two beads together. I love it when things work out like this. 

• Like 3

The mirrors have been cut, thanks to a club member. The arch was installed using a French cleat. The copper ceiling is installed. Lighting is in. Still uncertain about the etched glass floor, I had hoped it would have been a darker gray but it took all day to do it so I’ll wait and see. The back counter and front bar haven’t been cut to size yet. I’m waiting for the Elf Miniature wine cooler to arrive, then I’ll cut them to size. The bottom section of wallpaper will be installed once I’m positive of the bar’s height; a chair rail will follow the line of the bar top. Tomorrow, I’m going to work on the floating glass shelves which will be over the mirrors. I also have two columns which will sit on the rear counter giving the illusion of holding up the arch while separating the mirrors from the copper artwork. I’m really enjoying this project.

3756B23D-3A75-4A7B-9967-E3B17FE50E85.jpeg

• Like 3

On 3/16/2018, 11:08:24, fov said:

bar215.jpg.9150cc7733acf4f51a2f03c8a9f0e

Emily, I finally had the chance to read through all of your tips. I shared your laughter over the wine fridge and all of the effort you put into something barely visible. I think I have a solution for mine. Amazing time and effort was put into your bar!  I’m saving your write up on how you made your bottles because as you mentioned, purchased ones are too expensive. I have a few but need more. I’m probably going to have to spend some money on glasses, though. 

21 minutes ago, Keifer said:

I’m pretty psyched about it myself, I like the direction its headed.  I had a look at another one of your builds and I must say I’m a fan.   You do really nice work. 

Thank you so much.

On 3/28/2018, 9:10:39, Sable said:
On 3/28/2018, 11:18:56, Sable said:

Thank you very much. Yes. I stood in the jewelry section of Michael’s last night until a bracelet with these elongated copper and brass cones jumped out at me. I have about 20 dollhouse faucets which are all tarnished so I cut off the top handles, inserted a black bead on the top where the handle was and inserted a black bead to the pointed side of the cone and Crazy Glued  the two beads together. I love it when things work out like this. 

Brilliant. I love them!!

Absolutley Love how it is coming together and I can "see" where you are going with the shelves and I am Love with the arched feature as well as it shows the details so well too.

looking forward to follow along and see it come together!