The Bar Room Box

Sable

I’ve been planning on making my husband a Bar. For the backdrop of the bar I will be using this copper art work my son made at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland about 15 years ago. MikeUK told me the name of this form of artwork a few years ago but it escapes me now. The ceiling will be covered with a black tin roof.  The frames will have mirrors like the Thorne Saloon uses in its setting.  They will be placed on the side walls. A woman called me a few weeks ago and said a neighbor was throwing out all kinds of minis belonging to his deceased mother. She sent me a box containing all of these liquor bottles, unfortunately not enough vodka. I have a West Indies mahogany rail from an old 4 poster bed which will be cut to make the bar and trim. So I’m off to a good start material wise, just have to make a plan and make it happen.  Next year’s theme for the show is The Four Seasons, so maybe it will be dressed for St Patrick’s Day.

D00D1583-3886-46DA-8A65-C7156653AD0F.jpeg

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sable said:

I’ve been planning on making my husband a Bar. For the backdrop of the bar I will be using this copper art work my son made at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland about 15 years ago. MikeUK told me the name of this form of artwork a few years ago but it escapes me now. The ceiling will be covered with a black tin roof.  The frames will have mirrors like the Thorne Saloon uses in its setting.  They will be placed on the side walls. A woman called me a few weeks ago and said a neighbor was throwing out all kinds of minis belonging to his deceased mother. She sent me a box containing all of these liquor bottles, unfortunately not enough vodka. I have a West Indies mahogany rail from an old 4 poster bed which will be cut to make the bar and trim. So I’m off to a good start material wise, just have to make a plan and make it happen.  Next year’s theme for the show is The Four Seasons, so maybe it will be dressed for St Patrick’s Day.

D00D1583-3886-46DA-8A65-C7156653AD0F.jpeg

I’m so excited to see this. I know it will be so perfect.  I love how your putting your sons art in. What an inspiration it will be.

There’s two things my husband wants me to make. One is a miniature bar to go in our bar. The other is a Japanese themed house because I lived there when I was small. I seceretly think it’s because his favorite movie is Shogun and he loves all the Samari stuff. 

• Like 2

Wow, that'll be fun. I know someone who did a wine bar theme, they added a dark stain to some of the cheaper bottles to look like an old dusty wine bottle, it worked out well. 

Fov is building a bar room box over on her blog at the moment. You should mosey on over for a little inspiration. What great artwork from your son and so wonderful you will be able to incorporate it. I think it's perfect for a bar too.. Now you just need to think of a great industrial/vehicular name for your bar. And some cool automotive cocktails for the menu.:cocktail: :)

Maybe it's the Raceabout bar.:bigwink: 

We used to hang out at a neighborhood sandwich shop when we lived in Jacksonville that had named all their sandwiches after cars.  My favorite was the Monte Carlo.  The place burned down and later reopened at a local mall and was never quite the same.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I love mini bars and I think it would be so much fun to build one.

It's hard to believe that someone would just throw away those bottles. Imagine what else he must've thrown away. yikes.

4 hours ago, Samusa said:

Fov is building a bar room box over on her blog at the moment. You should mosey on over for a little inspiration.

I don't know how to do a search for member's blogs but would love to take a look at fov's bar. Is there a way to do it that I'm just not getting?

1 hour ago, kokomo said:

I don't know how to do a search for member's blogs but would love to take a look at fov's bar. Is there a way to do it that I'm just not getting?

It takes a little sleuthing. Go to Search. Knowing Fov is an Admin I searched for the word Greenleaf, then in More Options I went to ‘By Author’ and put in ‘Fov’. After numerous posts appeared I hit her name and up came her profile. She has her blog website listed in her profile.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kokomo said:

Oh, wow, that is kind of complicated. Thanks for providing the link and giving me a shortcut! ;)

I’m not sure if that’s the best way to find someone’s profile, but it’s the only way I’ve been able to figure out.

2 minutes ago, Sable said:

I’m not sure if that’s the best way to find someone’s profile, but it’s the only way I’ve been able to figure out.

Sable, here's an easier way the get to a specific profile:

If you know the member's name enter it in the search box, choose member from the drop down list, click search, then click their member name in the search results.

Hi everyone! My blog isn't hosted through Greenleaf so it's not really easy to find on the Greenleaf site. If you Google "fov blog dollhouse" my website is the second thing to come up on Google (the first, ironically, is the Greenleaf site!) or there is a link in my signature line on my posts. The bar posts are here: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?tag=blackbird-bar

They go in chronological order with the most recent at the top, so scroll down to the bottom of the page if you want to start from the beginning of the project.

I just glued in all the bottles and glasses. I made a lot of my bottles out of Christmas ornaments. You can read about that here and here.

bar214.jpg.3addc1c3c090f376fc9cd9f145cdd

If you want to mix in some "real" bottles, the best price I found on eBay was about $3 each. Here are some sellers to look at for bottles:

http://stores.ebay.com/kerbeylaneminiatures/

http://stores.ebay.com/barbscorner/

Or you can get blanks at Alpha Stamps or in bulk at Miniatures Marketplace. I made labels by resizing pictures I found online. Sable, send me a PM if you want me to send you the file for the printies I made.

I got full / half full beer glasses (as well as an adorable spilled beer glass) from Tumdee Dolls House Miniatures. They have a lot of great pub stuff. I didn't order from them, but Matlock Miniatures also has a good selection of pub accessories.

My glasses (which are plastic) came from Miniatures.com and from Michaels - in the miniatures section they sell a wine bottle with four glasses for about $2.50. I think the bottle is out of scale but the glasses are great. Also looking at their website I'm seeing some bottles in ice that I haven't seen before (here and here), maybe you could pull out the bottles and add your own labels?

Let me know if you're wondering where I got anything specific. I've probably looked at the pub things on every miniature website in existence once or twice since I've been working on this roombox! I have a bunch more accessories and resin dolls that I plan to add next -- it's going to be crowded. :)

bar215.jpg.9150cc7733acf4f51a2f03c8a9f0e

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mesp2k said:

Sable, here's an easier way the get to a specific profile:

If you know the member's name enter it in the search box, choose member from the drop down list, click search, then click their member name in the search results.

Unfortunately, cell phones don’t offer this option.

4 minutes ago, Sable said:

Unfortunately, cell phones don’t offer this option.

When I look at the site on my iPad, in the upper right corner there are three white lines that represent the menu. Tap that and select Search from the menu that slides out, and then Member Search is one of the options.

Another way to get there is to tap the Search icon, and then tap where it says All Content and select Advanced Search.

I forgot to say in my last post that I love your son's copper artwork. That will make an awesome focal point for the bar.

15 hours ago, Sable said:

The beer mugs filled with beer which were in the collection were very sticky. Unfortunately, they were thrown out. Maybe I could have tried to wash them. Does Fimo degrade over time?

No it Doesn't!0't when it is cured, but Sometimes it can react with a Plastic, that Will make the Plastic kind of smelt. But there is a product that is sort of gel like and re-smeltadable, the surface of which is sort of sticky too.

5 hours ago, Anna said:

No it Doesn't!0't when it is cured, but Sometimes it can react with a Plastic, that Will make the Plastic kind of smelt. But there is a product that is sort of gel like and re-smeltadable, the surface of which is sort of sticky too.

Some people used a fake water product that never really dries hard, and collects dust like a magnet.