Full scale tips...

Adorabelle

After debating this for quite some time, I bought my first full scale kit yesterday and it shipped today!  It's the Storybook Cottage.  I'm going to lower the second floor to make it habitable.  

Jumping into full scale seemed like a great idea, but I must admit the sheer size is overwhelming.  So are the variety and number of accessories available.  Honestly, I think this may be the major reason why this change is overwhelming me.  With so much choice, I feel like I have to get it 'right'.  In 1/2 scale, my thoughts are more like 'yes, I found a chair to put in that house that I don't already have in some other one.'

My first house was the Fairfield, then I did a dollar store 1/4 scale house, followed by the 1/2 scale Rosedale and the 1/2 scale Buttercup.  I'll do a photo shoot on the weekend; I'm not sure I've posted updated pictures of my Fairfield - it underwent renovations some years ago.  The Buttercup has my first attempt at egg carton brick, to make cut stone, and I think it was a success.  

Now I wonder if I should have stuck with 1/2 scale.  It seems safer.  If your project isn't quite as you intended, it doesn't matter - it can be stowed inconspicuously on a bookshelf, whereas full scale houses are so huge they could dominate a room.  I looked in the gallery for inspiration, but not many people seem to have built the Storybook Cottage.  Not sure why, I think it's adorable!  

Any tips on full scale?  I still intend to continue half scale (I'm working up the courage to egg carton field stone a 1/2 scale Willow).  Meanwhile, I thought this would be a nice distraction.

When I see "full scale" my mind jumps to 1:1 scale.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you meant 1:12 scale, and by 1/2 scale you meant 1:24 and not 1:2.

42 minutes ago, Adorabelle said:

...With so much choice, I feel like I have to get it 'right'...

Do you want it to look "perfect" or do you want it to look real?  Real things are not perfect.

• Like 1

At least you've chosen a little house to do!  My first 1:12 was the Pierce - which I'm still working on 4 years later!  Maybe you need a resident with likes and dislikes to help you choose furniture and furnishings?  Some residents are very particular so if you're building a house for a certain personality, it narrows the choice and may make it easier.  Good luck!  Looking forward to seeing your pics!

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Real things are not perfect.

Well said, Holly. This deserves embroidering on a pillow to twin with "Smoke and Mirrors" :D 

Have fun with your Storybook, Adorabelle. Keep these two maxims in mind as you work. :) 

• Like 3

I mostly work in half scale, and 1:12 feels huge to me now! You do need more detail for something to look good. On the other hand, there is a lot more available in this scale, which makes me feel like a kid in a candy store when I go shopping. :)

Thank you for the replies and encouragement!  I would ideally like it to look perfect.  I have a problem with perfectionism in general.  Your advice is good. :)

Sorry about the April Fool's confusion!  Yes, I meant 1:12.

LOL about the Pierce, I seriously considered it...  It's out of stock right now.  I have a resident.  I wish she had a family - it's very hard to find adults and boys.  I tried to get some on ebay.  The seller promised combined shipping, but it was disabled once you had the dolls in your cart.  They wanted $20 US per doll to ship.  That's insane.  I bailed.

Shopping has been fun.  I've ordered some accessories, some of which have come in, and gone to Michael's!

Here are some updated pictures of my Fairfield.  I have made picture frames and added some accessories.  It's still my favourite.

Fairfield 1.jpg

Fairfield 2.jpg

Fairfield 3.jpg

Fairfield 4.jpg

Fairfield 5.jpg

Fairfield 6.jpg

Fairfield 7.jpg

Fairfield 8.jpg

Fairfield 9.jpg

Fairfield 10.jpg

Fairfield 11.jpg

And here are some pictures of my Rosedale.  It has had some improvements too, though not as many.  Unfortunately the bed has warped.  Anyone know how to fix that.  'Buckling' it into a straight jacket to the floor did not work.  I have recently learned you're supposed to seal wallpaper before use.  Is this possible after installation or too risky?

Rosedale 1.jpg

Rosedale 2.jpg

Rosedale_3.jpg

@Adorabelle

You can only post a certain amount of things directly to your posts. The best thing to is start an album and insert links to the album. Here is some info on how to make an album.

You also need to resize the amount of KB in the the picture file. If the picture file is too large, it won't load. I use a free site named http://www.picresize.com/

Your houses are really nice:wave:

57 minutes ago, Adorabelle said:

...you're supposed to seal wallpaper before use...

Who said?  Unless you're using printie wallpaper.  I always test a squib of whatever I'm using for wall covering to see if wallpaper paste will cause splotching, and so far the only thing I've ever had to seal was a scrapbook paper I once used.

Also, I usually make the residents of my mini properties.

Thank you for your help!  I have an album.  It's called Adorabelle.  All of the Fairfield, half scale Rosedale and half scale Buttercup pictures fit in it!  Some of them appear to have uploaded twice.  I don't know why.  

The Buttercup has my first attempts at egg carton bricks.  I used them to make large, stone blocks, like the ones that were around the fireplace and mantel of the house I grew up in.

A person at a dollhouse shop told my sister last Friday that dollhouse wallpaper has to be sealed.  If it's not always true, I'm going to leave well enough alone.  I like my wallpaper and don't want it ruined.  Besides, the wallpaper in the living room of the Rosedale was hard to find.  

I'm not really talented at people - drawing them, sculpting them.  The girl I have, I got from a dollar store.  She was on a keychain.  I liberated her, touched up her outfit and gave her a haircut.