Glueing jig

WestPaces

2 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Great minds! I was just about to suggest Leggos as a squaring aid. :D 

I can hear my son's voice when reading this asking  'Why do Americans call Lego Leggos??

1 minute ago, sparklepuppies said:

I have used Legos in the past to keep things square.

And what would the plural of Lego be, if it's not Legos??  

It's a Danish name and should be used as a plural similar to 'water' or 'sand'.  There are many grains of sand: There are many blocks of Lego.  It states it here....

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQuestions/comments/2wb092/what_is_the_plural_of_lego/

Having a son who is very pedantic about things and has done homeschooling history fairs on Lego - I guess I've picked up on it!

Well, I'm sorry, I'm not Danish. Here we refer to Legos as a thing. Same as band-aids. I don't say I'm going to buy Band Aid bandages, I say I'm getting and aids. Q-tips, I don't say cotton swabs. And if I say to my husband, please pick up some Coke, he asks what flavors.

It's not very nice to criticize how people talk and say things.

But I hope that answers your questions as to Why. Because we are not Danish, and consider it as a thing.

Now I'm going to go play with all my Legos that I happen to love building.

1 minute ago, sparklepuppies said:

Well, I'm sorry, I'm not Danish. Here we refer to Legos as a thing. Same as band-aids. I don't say I'm going to buy Band Aid bandages, I say I'm getting and aids. Q-tips, I don't say cotton swabs. And if I say to my husband, please pick up some Coke, he asks what flavors.

It's not very nice to criticize how people talk and say things.

But I hope that answers your questions as to Why. Because we are not Danish, and consider it as a thing.

Now I'm going to go play with all my Legos that I happen to love building.

Fair enough - I wasn't actually criticising, merely questioning as we have always wondered why.  And btw, we also call band-aids 'band-aids' and coke 'coke' not cokes.

Oh and I was answering your original question rather than being critical - 

17 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

And what would the plural of Lego be, if it's not Legos??  

1 hour ago, Shareb said:

It's a Danish name and should be used as a plural similar to 'water' or 'sand'....

Well I guess referring to "the sands of Time" is ungrammatical.  When I need a square corner in my gluing jig I clamp a block of straight cut scrap wood thicker than the corner gap and I have a nice, solid right angled corner to butt my adjacent pieces to.  Tracy, our youngest is also a Lego builder; he builds Battle Mechs and all sorts of working accessories for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Well I guess referring to "the sands of Time" is ungrammatical.  When I need a square corner in my gluing jig I clamp a block of straight cut scrap wood thicker than the corner gap and I have a nice, solid right angled corner to butt my adjacent pieces to.  Tracy, our youngest is also a Lego builder; he builds Battle Mechs and all sorts of working accessories for them.

What are Battle Mechs?  Sounds like our youngest's would get on! :D   Good idea about the wood - I think I'll try that when I start my furniture next week.

22 minutes ago, Shareb said:

What are Battle Mechs?  Sounds like our youngest's would get on! :D   Good idea about the wood - I think I'll try that when I start my furniture next week.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=battle+mechs&qpvt=battle+mechs&FORM=IGRE

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shareb said:

<Oops. I weighed in on the Lego/Legos debate before reading all the way through. Nothing to add. Sorry for wasting the bandwidth.>

• 2 weeks later...

NellBell, I noticed a nifty looking drill stand in one of your pictures of the gluing jig and wondered what make it is. I gotta get me a gluing jig now I've seen one. Tried the Lego blocks but they move around too much. Magnets are perfect.

29 minutes ago, Annagr said:

NellBell, I noticed a nifty looking drill stand in one of your pictures of the gluing jig and wondered what make it is. I gotta get me a gluing jig now I've seen one. Tried the Lego blocks but they move around too much. Magnets are perfect.

I think thats someone else's picture I don't have my gluing jig yet also I still drill mostly manually.