Grandt Line closing down

I just went to the Grandt Line website to look for something and there's a note that they'll be shutting down in June: http://www.grandtline.com/

Personally I prefer wood components to plastic, but Grandlt line has a huge selection for smaller scale minis and I know a lot of people use them, especially in quarter scale. This will be a big loss.

So sad.. :( I hate to think this hobby is dying... what can we do to get younger people involved to keep it going?? I also feel badly for the owners and employees.. it's just a no win for everyone involved... 

Oh noooo!! I love their half scale components :( 

3 hours ago, Samusa said:

So sad.. :( I hate to think this hobby is dying... what can we do to get younger people involved to keep it going?? I also feel badly for the owners and employees.. it's just a no win for everyone involved... 

I'm trying to stay optimistic about the future, but sadly I think both dollhouses and railroads are becoming very niche hobbies... the new generations are too absorbed in technology and don't have much interest for crafts. There will always be a comunity of enthusiasts, but probably never as large as in decades past... 

Well, they are apparently retiring - they have been doing it for 60 years. Yowza!  So I think they are ready to not do it anymore, and I guess no one in the family wants to do it. BUT, I am hoping someone will buy the molds.

Tichy Train Group makes similar styrene windows - but they don't have the great variety in 1:48 that Grandt does. I am hoping someone buys the molds.

I really cannot imagine building 1:48 from scratch without them. It is a cloud over my future builds! Their windows, doors, porch railings save me so much time and look so perfect.

4 hours ago, Samusa said:

So sad.. :( I hate to think this hobby is dying...

My hubby collects stamps and coins.  We stopped going to stamp shows because the surviving collectors became fewer and fewer.  We do see lots more folks at the coin shows, especially young adults nd older children

20 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

I am hoping someone buys the molds.

Crossing my fingers as well... Grandt Line, Phoenix Models and Houseworks were my top 'go to' when it comes to components, specially doors and hardware. I hope the others remain in business for a while or I will really miss those accessories...