First time Kit question in regards to construction

JadeLovesink

Hello fellow miniature enthusiasts! 

I recently just picked up my first greenleaf dollhouse kit, and I am unclear about a few things.

Do I apply wallpaper, paint, siding and carpet to the house before it is assembled? 

Any input is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello, Jade. Welcome to the forum. :) What house are you building?

Decorating before or after assembly is a matter of practicality and personal choice. Most of us first assemble the bulk of the house using masking tape instead of glue. This is called a dry fit. I highly recommend it. This process lets you shave slots and tabs for a perfect fit and also lets you see which parts of the house may be difficult to reach when it is glued. Those parts for sure you want to decorate before assembly. As for the rest, it is a matter of choice and how you prefer to work. Some folks like to decorate before assembly and some after. 

There is no right or wrong way to build a dollhouse. Do what feels right to you.

That said, please note that the instructions say to use hot glue for assembly. Do not. Over time it will degrade and your house will fall apart. Use a good wood glue to glue bare wood to bare wood. (If you do paint or paper before assembly, be sure to leave a bare edge where pieces will touch.)

As other questions occur, do a search of the forum. If the answer isn't apparent, feel free to ask away. No question is too trivial and may help someone else with the same head scratcher later on.

Above all, have fun!

Welcome to the little family, Jade.  Which kit called your name?  Once I get a house into dry fit (and sometimes before) it will begin to talk to me and tell me what it wants.  Then, when I take it apart again, I know where to mask off for glue and what sorts of prep I need to do and what part of the build I'll need to do it.  As Kathie said, places that will be impossible to reach once the house is glued get finished first (like stairwells; I paint & paper before I ever install the stairs or glue in the walls).  I have begun making new working doors and windows for my houses, so they can go in after most of the decorating is done.

Keep in mind that building the structure takes a lot of glue which can be messy and drip down and get all over your floors or wallpaper etc. Add a roll of paper towels to your supply list.  

Welcome to the forum :) 

You can measure and cut wallpaper, etc. before you glue the house (but wait to install until glued) because measuring can be tricky once the house is together.  It also makes it easier to cut out windows.  Leave the paper a little longer on the side walls where you are going to attach them to the back wall.  That way you won't have seams visible in the corners.  If you do wait to measure and cut wallpaper until after you have glued, cut a template first with scratch paper so that if you make any mistakes measuring or cutting, you have not wasted a piece of wallpaper.