Materials used to create stone, brick , plaster surface effects

EmilyCraig

What are the best ways and materials to create a plaster wall effect? Does anyone use cement or concrete mixes to create surface effects? I made an ancient Roman stove in 1/12 scale and used a mixture of spackle, water and tacky glue on the surface, tinted with a bit of acrylic paint. I am satisfied with the result but I'd like to find something that is easier to work with. I included a link to my new miniatures Facebook page where I have photos of the stove and other items I've made-  I'd love any input or suggestions:)

https://m.facebook.com/Crafting-History-in-Miniature-145349899474628/

I use patching plaster for the interior and live it. I have used cement patch for the exterior  but after seeing Sables post I looked on the back ingredients and will be looking for a different way to do stucco on the outside of a house. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I like to use paperclay (air dry modeling clay) for a plaster effect. It doesn’t add weight to the house like some of the other treatments do. 

I forgot about paperclay, it’s my favorite for stone walkways, countertops and all kinds of stone affects.

• Like 2

Then there's the paper egg carton methods. I've never tried it but people do amazing things with cut up egg cartons. Definitely cheaper than paperclay. Not a plaster effect exactly but if you're looking for ideas for textured surfaces...

• Like 1

I use cement for grouting, but as Sable sugested I make my own mix with only fine cement powder and a bit of PVAc glue diluted in water. The premixed cements usually come with sand and other larger grains, so best buy a pack of powder and do it yourself. As for molding materials, on wood my favorite is Araldit (epoxy resin), it's very easy to mold and can be sanded/cut and reshaped even after dry, but to be frank it's a bit expensive... I have tried some other sugestions I got here on the forum. I think spackle works well, used it on ceilings and walls, easy to sand and get a smooth surface. But if I wanted to do a 'tiled' or 'brick' effect I would probably try a stencil, I have been thinking about ordering some from Bromley Crafts to try on a chimney.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Then there's the paper egg carton methods. I've never tried it but people do amazing things with cut up egg cartons. Definitely cheaper than paperclay. Not a plaster effect exactly but if you're looking for ideas for textured surfaces...

I use egg carton for brick too, Karin.

Hi Emily! You should check out David Neat's website - he has a plethora of ideas about how to create effects. I love his site and have gotten a lot of good ideas and advice there

https://davidneat.wordpress.com/methods/making-realistic-models/creating-surfaces/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WestPaces said:

Hi Emily! You should check out David Neat's website - he has a plethora of ideas about how to create effects. I love his site and have gotten a lot of good ideas and advice there

https://davidneat.wordpress.com/methods/making-realistic-models/creating-surfaces/

Isn't his site great to read?? I've stumbled upon it over the years and he's done some really amazing things. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

Isn't his site great to read?? I've stumbled upon it over the years and he's done some really amazing things. 

Yes Heidi! I love that he often uses the cheapest tools available when possible (i.e. dollar store super glue and old sponges :) ). He has lots of imagination.

• Like 1

I just checked out his site (lots of cool effects) and briefly perused  through it.  One thing that jumped out for me (posible future uses) was his use of Kapa-line foamboard.  Did some quick internet research and I’m like yeah this has potential, where can I get some...thats when the trouble started.  Not readily available for the craft consumer. 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2018, 7:05:10, EmilyCraig said:

I made an ancient Roman stove in 1/12 scale and used a mixture of spackle, water and tacky glue on the surface, tinted with a bit of acrylic paint. 

The stove turned out great.  Did you mix all those ingredients together to make one mix?  Also I love that you used a toaster box for your roombox.  

• Like 1

I use egg cartons and also the bumpier fiber packing material and pressed cardboard fast food drink carriers for brick, stone, and recently a slate floor. Even if this stuff weren't free, I would love it for its magic property of instantly looking real, in whatever shape you cut it. After it's glued, I seal it with matte mod podge, color it with acrylic paint (or leave it natural for stone), and then use real grout to fill in the cracks - a scary process that gets the cardboard wet and muddy and looks like it's ruining it, but if you gently brush off the excess wiith a soft little paintbrush dipped in water and let it dry, you end up with a realistic bit of aged masonry. 

• Like 1

Another alternative is to use real stone. I purchase the backsplash tile sheets from HD or Lowes, remove the stone from the backing by using xylene (outdoors) then cut the stone to size using a Dremel with a diamond blade EZ Lock system.

A real stone fireplace:

A real stone facade and real slate roof:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=101095&browse=1

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018, 2:50:12, Keifer said:

The stove turned out great.  Did you mix all those ingredients together to make one mix?  Also I love that you used a toaster box for your roombox.  

Thanks! I mixed it all together- it had kind of a rubbery texture- I will definitely use that mixture again for smaller plaster details.