Cleaning wood glue off plastic windows

croute

Hi all- new to this forum and building houses.

I would like to know how you put in the windows so they don't get glue all over them.

I also want to know what the best method is to remove wood glue from the windows. Thanks in advance!

Hi, first I would use Aleens brand tacky glue, dries clear and just use a very small amount. 

I’m not sure how successful anything will be to get wood glue off. Soap and water on a Qtip...maybe fingernail polish remover? 

I keep a container of clean water and paper towels handy when I'm using glue around clear plastic.  I use clear-drying tacky glue to glue clear acetate to wood frames and wood glue to glue frames to the walls and OCD sparing with the wood glue to keep it off the acetate.

The best advise I can give is to be vary sparing in the use of your glue to add the clear plastic. I sometimes use a toothpick. After all the windows are dry than I set about inserting the window frames, again use small amount of glue.

Good Luck

Solvent based glues and super glue will etch into acetate windows and don't wipe off without leaving a mark. Nail polish remover may also do this. Use water based PVA (white glue) and wipe residue off with a damp cloth. Dried on bit can be picked off with your fingernails. Bear in mind that white glue does not hold onto acetate windows very well but it is enough to get your windows into place. I always make a narrow frame to cover over the edge of the window 'glass' to make sure it stays put. Some windows come with this already built in as part of the inside trimming strips.