step one,, help

TJD

2 hours ago, TJD said:

Just opened my first house, go me. and its said to mix shlac with wood alcohol. what do people use for this step?...

Shellac used to come in solid flakes that had to be mixed with a diluent to make it liquid.  It was used for a sealer.  I remember spending one Monday afternoon when I didn't have classes helping paint the stuff on all the University Chapel's hymnals and prayer books to protect the bindings from mildew and roaches.  I used to use clear sanding sealer when I first began to build kits.  Now I do a dry fit first of the main kit parts to see what I'm going to paint vs what I'm going to stain, make whatever adjustments to the tabs & slots to get a perfect fit, and mark off and mask the places I'll want to leave bare wood for gluing.

2 hours ago, TJD said:

...I never heard of wood alcohol 

Also known as methanol:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol  It's really nasty stuff.  Not needing to ruin my health, I won't use it.  Now that you have piqud my curiosity, which kit are you building?  And why not post us an introduction in the Newcomer's Forum?

• Like 1

Hi TJ! A few months ago I opened my kit and saw the same instructions, I thought,  ????. I went to H. Depot and asked for wood alcohol and they said, ????

So, I looked around this wonderful forum and left that step till later. Having decided that primer would be better for my choice of finish (mostly paint) I primed with bulleseye zinsser BIN 1-2-3.  Then I painted and finished as I went through the build. The best piece of advice I got was to mark the pieces carefully and DRY FIT before glueing anything :) Have fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mineejv said:

What I would like to know is >>  Why don’t the companies who make the houses rewrite the directions for the 21st century<<

Amen!

I think there might be ancient kits floating around, like Artply.

@TJDCurious minds want to know, what kit do you have?:D

It could depend on what kit it is.  Most older kit companies are no longer in business.   I have never seen that on any of my kits, or I chose to ignore it (LOL).  I'll echo what Holly said.   Dry fit, adjust, then prime walls and floors that will be covered.   Clear coat those that will remain clean wood.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Shellac used to come in solid flakes that had to be mixed with a diluent to make it liquid.  It was used for a sealer.  I remember spending one Monday afternoon when I didn't have classes helping paint the stuff on all the University Chapel's hymnals and prayer books to protect the bindings from mildew and roaches.  I used to use clear sanding sealer when I first began to build kits.  Now I do a dry fit first of the main kit parts to see what I'm going to paint vs what I'm going to stain, make whatever adjustments to the tabs & slots to get a perfect fit, and mark off and mask the places I'll want to leave bare wood for gluing.

Also known as methanol:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol  It's really nasty stuff.  Not needing to ruin my health, I won't use it.  Now that you have piqud my curiosity, which kit are you building?  And why not post us an introduction in the Newcomer's Forum?

Im building the Westerville House