Dollhouse Cellars?

third_hand

Howdy everyone, 

I've been slowly but steadly (and quietly forum-wise, though I've been keeping up with the buzz!) working on my Orchid; I'm at near-completion in terms of the house structure itself! Pictures soon to follow.

I was thinking through a way to spruce up the exterior wall of my Orchid (there aren't any windows on the first floor). I'd like to add some interest to that side (so that it isn't overshadowed by my little Greenleaf greenhouse add-on on the opposite end of the house).

In short, Has anyone ever built a cellar addition? If so, did you only construct the above-ground, exterior portion for the effect? Did anyone actually add on a cellar level to the house structure (i.e., build "beneath" the house?

I have in mind the sort that is nestled up against the house (used for roots or storm shelter, I believe). Any thoughts on this? I'd love to hear 'em!

Edited by third_hand

These examples are lovely! Admittedly, I was thinking more along the lines of something like the one in the image below. I believe folks call them "hatchway" or "bulkead" doors. The cellar entrace is sloped against the house as it peaks out from above ground.

I wonder if just constructing the entrace (smoke and mirrors, as they say!) would suffice until I could decide on whether to add a real cellar underneath the house.

I think the shape of this cellar entrance would balance well with the greenhouse shape. Thoughts?

images (1).jpg

31 minutes ago, third_hand said:

I wonder if just constructing the entrace (smoke and mirrors, as they say!) would suffice until I could decide on whether to add a real cellar underneath the house.

I personally love cellar doors like this.  They were common on farms when I was growing up.  I think "smoke and mirrors" would be sufficient.  Most people would get that this leads to a root cellar (most likely) and would add a nice touch to your exterior.

44 minutes ago, third_hand said:

Absolutely!! <so sayeth the Smoke and Mirrors head cheerleader :D >

• Like 1

Those cellar doors used to be very common in olden days and always thought they looked so cool. I used to see them in front of old houses in Philadelphia, especially the ones where they ran a business on the ground floor. Supplies would be brought in through the cellar hatchway. There's one in front of the Betsy Ross house, for example.

They make cellar door like that and I've seen them on eBay in the past. I have a set and I always thought I would hide the junction thingy, for the tape wire, under them. Sorry people, I've got property on my mind and I just can't think straight today.

6 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

You know who made awesome ones for her Haunted Heritage (and I think hid electrical in there, too)?  Brae, of course.  http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/cellar-doors

Oh boy! Now that's a cellar! Thanks so much for pointing me toward Brae's work (and everyone else who confirmed its loveliness). This is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind; though I don't see dimensions listed (which makes sense given that the cellar was custom built for that house), watching the process through photos will be very helpful. Also, I'm just happy to have another mini-lover's work to explore.

More generally, thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I'll be sure to share once I've gotten to work :)