Siding size for 1:12 house

I'm looking to buy some siding sheets for my San Francisco house and I'm confused with the imperial sizes. I'm interested in your opinions on the right size (height wise) siding for 1:12. The options where I'm looking to purchase are 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch.. which is better for scale in your opinion?

Hi Samantha From Down Under.........I have examples of both and IMHO I prefer the 3/8. Your 1/2 would compare to 6 in siding.  For me I think it is a matter of house circa and personal preference.

I don't have the experience of some of the other members. I always have my two cents to give. 

• Like 1

Thanks Bob, I asked another mini friend also and they are of the same opinion as you. I think the 1/2 might be too large for a victorian era house.. Thanks for the input, it's confirmed my original suspicion. :) 

The siding on my Laurel is 1/2 inch= 1.9cm =+/- (the actual reveal is 3/8in)  and I think it is the perfect size. I bought the MDF sheets. I am using 1/2 inch upholstery tack for my Willow. (More labor but cheap and you could adjust the distance easily to make it narrower. What size is the siding on the  Dura- Craft SF?

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

The siding on my Laurel is 1/2 inch= 1.9cm =+/- (the actual reveal is 3/8in)  and I think it is the perfect size. I bought the MDF sheets. I am using 1/2 inch upholstery tack for my Willow. (More labor but cheap and you could adjust the distance easily to make it narrower. What size is the siding on the  Dura- Craft SF?

Not sure, I'll have to go and measure.. I'm looking for my San Francisco Townhouse not the Duracraft.. just to be confusing. lol.. Where did you get your sheets from Carrie?

I bought them from HBS. They are Houseworks brand.....

9 hours ago, Samusa said:

I'm looking for my San Francisco Townhouse not the Duracraft

I thought so, I was just thinking you could get a better visual by looking at the siding on the DC to see whether it would be too big etc...

This townhouse has Novelty siding - see profile.

It's basically grooved.  This one is very wide - 9" or 3/4" @ 1/12 scale.

Northeastern Scale Lumber sells it - #390,   1/16"thk x 3-1/2"W x 24"L (exposure is 3/4")

But for a finer looking finish 3/8" is perfect. But I don't know who sells it?

SANFRAN.png.1acbffda1b27cade1b551069d359

^ Click to enlarge, see profile ^

I did a dog house with this type of siding using a Dremel

with a 1/16" straight bit, grooves every 3/8". (You can use: Dremel, Trio, Cut-out tool, small router, etc.)

This is made of 1/8" birch plywood, but it could be done with 1/16" plywood or veneer.

Img_1923.jpg.0c1cbffda22d974a40fa44c6182

I've been thinking of making some kind of jig that would hold a bunch of hack saw blades (they're cheap!)

& it would slide over a dollhouse wall to make the grooves manually??

5ac126df3b0fe_hacksawbladesidingjig2018.
^ Click to enlarge ^