Fairy wings tutorial

WyckedWood

If anyone knows of a 1/12 scale fairy wing tutorial or YouTube video, please let me know. I've searched YouTube but having a hard time finding something that would work in 1:12. Thanks for any help or thoughts, ideas...

I used Angelina films for fantasy wings, it's funny but pretty hard to use for my taste. You have a nice tutorial here very well explained

https://www.cdhm.org/tutorials/making-fairy-wings.html

here are the fairies I made with this tutorial and angelina film in the first 3 pictures

I loved to use the pergamano paper to make wing and you print on it what you want. I used the same tutorial as above but without burning the material as it is not required!! I bought several wing sheets from her http://www.ooakartistemporium.com/WingSheets.html and the result is perfect!

you can see that on the following ones

the most difficult part is to attach the wings to the porcelain bodies. As you pour your own dolls, I suggest you to make 2 tiny holes in the back so that you can pick the wings . For me I always have to figure out to make the outfit thinking how to fix the wings first and do the bodice! pretty hard everytime!

4017897.jpg

4466267.jpg

4609834.jpg

285435.jpg

353086.jpg

918573.jpg

3315204.jpg

• Like 3

you can also go to you tube and type fairy wings; you have Celidonia working at 1.12th scale who makes wings from different material and it's very easy to follow. 

I don't know how to put the link here, when I do the picture takes all the forum page! 

Edited by Nathaliedollsmini
  • Like 1

Nathalie did you make all of those fairies, omg! They’re amazing! I love the third one especially. The wings in the 5th picture is what I’ve been envisioning. 

I did find the cdhm tutorial, sounds easy enough after finding the supplies. 

The Sinnett ones are iron on transparencies, I like those too. 

I don’t have that issue Carrie but thanks, maybe she’ll post a tutorial on her site. 

Thanks for the thoughts! 

Wow...cool stuff on the ooak emporium too, thanks for the link!

Karin, it just hit me I have these Tinker Bell figures with "loose" wing sets, is that something you could have use for? 

Think there are atleast a couple more designslarge.IMG_1332.JPG.1027dc196c55ad4200dbe

9 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Nathalie did you make all of those fairies, omg! They’re amazing! I love the third one especially. The wings in the 5th picture is what I’ve been envisioning. 

Yes I did , Karin! the Third ones are made with angelina film, with a pattern that I made myself , I glued some sparkle, no hole beads and everything that could remind ice fairy. The fifth ones are made from a wing sheet I bought in a show in Italy, it was a plastic , I added angelina at the back, embossed them with heat gun (very lightly!!) to have the nice changing colors and customize them. 

I also made wings for my angels, with feathers, I cut the feather at the size I want, glue them on a cardboard shape I made to have exactly what I want. Time consuming but real great effect !!!

• Like 1

Those are amazing Nathalie, you're so talented! 

Thanks all for the links and info, lots to think about. I just watched a video about making them from bleached real ivy leaves, that was interesting too. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Nathalie, you mentioned Pergamano paper but couldn't find the instructions on how you used that. could you help me please

Hello Jeannine, Pergamano may not be the right word for what I meant,  velum paper seems to be the right one. You know the paper that you use to copy a drawing by transparency? you can use one that is thicker in your printer and you print for example butterfly wings. When ink is dry you put a thin layer of 3D gloss or sakura or modpodge (never use that for myself) to protect the printing, then you customize your  wings , glue beads, sparkle, anything that you want! I strengthen the wings by adding a thin matching metal wire long enough to attach to the doll and that's it.