Beacon hill bay windows

WestPaces

If you're going to decorate the bay, isn't it easier to do it before installing the windows?  I would do the dry fit, assemble the bay, decorate it, assemble the windows and install them, and then install the assembled bay.

Hi Janet............I haven't built a large number of windows and bay windows, but i assure you that building the window outside and then installing is the way to go. I also hand build doors outside and then install.

Between splopping paint/ stain/ paste everywhere and not being able to compress my hands into small spaces I always assemble doors and windows and wait until last to install them.

Holly I hate to work in confined spaces - brings out the swearer in me! When you say 'until last to install them', when is last? I've been going about this as decorate as you go, I plan to brick the outside walls - should I do that before or after I put the windows in?

I also usually decorate as I go.  Before I start I lay the door frames around the doors and the window frames around the windows and trace around them onto the wood, sometime before, during or immediately after the dry fit.  I then cut pieces of masking/ painters' tape into narrow strips and mask off those areas where the frames will go (so when I finally get to the doors and windows I'll be gluing bare wood to bare wood).  When I've finished decorating an interior wall the interior of the window or door frame goes up; interior doors are hung.

I butt exterior wall treatments up to the tracing lines.  Since I usually "plaster" or "stucco" my exterior walls, I also mask off the frame areas and window surfaces until I've slathered spackle/ drywall mud/ joint compound on and messed with it to get the finished texture, and then I remove the masking tape.  In the case of brickwork (like on my Glencroft pub) or siding I butt to the traced line.  Then when everything is dry I glue on the exterior frames and hang the exterior doors.  That's what works for me; some other order might work better for you.

• Like 2

Sounds great Holly, that's pretty much what I've been doing and what I had planned to do but I wasn't sure if it would work :) I plan to extend the kitchen and thought I'd leave that to last as I'm not yet sure how I want it to look...