Fake chocolate/icing for gingerbread trim

abloom

I'm thinking about how to paint or coat all the fancy little trim pieces on my Hansel & Gretel Buttercup to make them look like either real chocolate or royal icing. (I haven't decided on the colors yet.) I've never tried to make any fake food before, but I saw some pretty convincing chocolates at this site...

https://makeitwithme-kell.blogspot.ca/2012/12/staedtler-fimo-bon-bons.html?m=1

... and I'm wondering if it's possible to make my house trim look like that. Has anyone tried covering little trim pieces from a kit with clay? Do you think I could get a thin enough coating that it doesn't obliterate the detail of the wood pieces? Could I bake them? Or would unbaked paperclay work? Or is there some easier way to make them look like chocolate or icing? Any ideas will be much appreciated!

To make the trim that comes with the kit look like chocolate, I'd just paint it a chocolate color. Adding chocolate-colored clay seems like an extra step that will over-complicate things (and might obscure the detail of the trim, like you said). A few years ago I bought a Behr paint sample that I think was called Chocolate Truffle, with an eggshell sheen, and it really does look like chocolate! I can't find it on their website now but they have one named Dark Truffle, which might be the same one with a new name, or very close.

• Like 1

I was thinking after you did the effects with spackle or joint compound or paperclay whichever works for you (if you go that route) maybe spray with a chocolate brown hi gloss spray paint.  But maybe experiment with a sample piece first. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

What about spackle?  You can mix in your color, either paint or grated pastel.

Yes, maybe spackle would be good, although I'm wondering how I could apply it to such little pieces. Maybe I should use spackle for the roof, to look like frosting, and just paint the tiny trim pieces with something glossy that goes with it, as some people have suggested. Thanks for the idea!

2 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Do you have an inspiration photo? Just trying to picture exactly what you mean. 

Haha, my inspiration photo is a Hostess cupcake :) I want the gingerbread trim to look like the little squiggle of white icing. Or if I go with chocolate, it should have the texture of the hardened chocolate coating on a Dove bar. I was thinking that if I just paint the trim, the square edges of the wood wouldn't look exactly like the soft, rounded shape of icing. But maybe if I round off the edges with an emory board and use a few coats of paint to make a thick layer, it will come closer. 

1 hour ago, fov said:

To make the trim that comes with the kit look like chocolate, I'd just paint it a chocolate color. Adding chocolate-colored clay seems like an extra step that will over-complicate things (and might obscure the detail of the trim, like you said). A few years ago I bought a Behr paint sample that I think was called Chocolate Truffle, with an eggshell sheen, and it really does look like chocolate! I can't find it on their website now but they have one named Dark Truffle, which might be the same one with a new name, or very close.

Yeah, I think you're right, the clay idea is just too complicated. I'll see if I can find that delicious-sounding paint color, or a creamy white to look like royal icing. The eggshell sheen sounds perfect. Thanks!

42 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I was thinking after you did the effects with spackle or joint compound or paperclay whichever works for you (if you go that route) maybe spray with a chocolate brown hi gloss spray paint.  But maybe experiment with a sample piece first. 

Love the spray paint idea - so much faster and maybe I can get a more even texture than with a brush. I definitely do need to experiment. Thanks!

What about puff paint? It comes in little bottles with a cake-decorating-like tip and has a raised profile when it dries. The link is to Home Depot, but it's widely available in craft stores and departments.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Love the spray paint idea - so much faster and maybe I can get a more even texture than with a brush. I definitely do need to experiment. Thanks!

5 hours ago, KathieB said:

What about puff paint? It comes in little bottles with a cake-decorating-like tip and has a raised profile when it dries. The link is to Home Depot, but it's widely available in craft stores and departments.

Oooh, that might be perfect! I'll pick some up and start playing with it.:) Thanks!

Just another Idea, what about one of those 3D doodler pens for the white icing? I got one earlier and Amy still dabbling with it but I can see it being used for something like this. My Idea is to get some of My own version of faux wrought iron using the black Plastic thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna said:

Just another Idea, what about one of those 3D doodler pens for the white icing? I got one earlier and Amy still dabbling with it but I can see it being used for something like this. My Idea is to get some of My own version of faux wrought iron using the black Plastic thread.

Really Great idea for Iron. I think it would work for some broken bits too when needed. When 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anna said:

Wow, I didn't know there were 3D pens. So much to experiment with! Thank you!

• Like 1

I used a product called “Collage Clay” by Modge Podge.  It comes in white or pink.  It is an air dry medium that comes in a piping bag with assorted tips for about $10. Available at Michaels.  I used it on my version of a Hansel and Gretel House using the Orchid.  I also used Scribbles dimensional paint in white for finer “icing.”  Joker stickers also sells icing looking sticker trim.  

6D3EFEA7-A1EA-410C-AB03-A0CB4D92FA6F.jpeg

5D5A14DD-8986-44F6-B839-C9AB0FD34C47.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Test said:

I used a product called “Collage Clay” by Modge Podge.  It comes in white or pink.  It is an air dry medium that comes in a piping bag with assorted tips for about $10. Available at Michaels.  I used it on my version of a Hansel and Gretel House using the Orchid.  I also used Scribbles dimensional paint in white for finer “icing.”  Joker stickers also sells icing looking sticker trim.  

Oh, yum!

13 hours ago, Anna said:
25 minutes ago, Test said:

Ooooooh, I LOVE your Hansel & Gretel Orchid! Thank you for sharing the items you used. So helpful to see them in a picture, too. :) 

• 5 months later...