First miniature. Glue advice please

Sweetnlow

Hello everyone . I hope I am posting in the right spot. I am very new to miniatures as I have just ordered my first kit. I have a background in crafting, mainly sewing, tulle and vinyl work and I am very intrigued to try this new craft. I ordered a small greenhouse kit to get a feel for the hobby. I can't seem to upload a picture. It's the robotime greenhouse kit. 

I would love some suggestions on what glue to use. The kit consists of painted wood, paper, a bit of fabric work and wire accents. I have aleenes quick grab glue and some super glue. Would this be adequate? I am in Canada so access to supplies is a bit limited. Any tips for a beginner?

Thank you very much!

Get some tacky glue. It's white glue that stays tacky for a bit so you can reposition things if you need to, and dries clear. The quick grab and super glue can be good for certain things but they cure fast, and often with kits you need a little more time to fiddle with things.

ps - I just looked up Quick Grab, are you talking about this? https://www.aleenes.com/aleenes-fast-grab-tacky-glue

If yes you might be fine with that, depends on how fast it cures. I haven't used it before, the tacky glue I use is the regular Aleenes tacky glue in the gold bottle. I thought you were talking about Quick Grip, which is more like super glue and very stringy.

• Like 1

If you can find E6000, it would work a bit better than super glue for the fiddly pieces. It will hold nearly any material to any other material but does not cure/dry as quickly as the super glue. A teeny bit on the end of a toothpick is a good way to apply it. It is clear, so the only evidence that it is in use may be a slightly shiny spot.

The link is to Amazon.com, but it can be found in craft stores, hardware stores, drugstores, Walmart, and many other places.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KathieB said:

If you can find E6000, it would work a bit better than super glue for the fiddly pieces. It will hold nearly any material to any other material but does not cure/dry as quickly as the super glue. A teeny bit on the end of a toothpick is a good way to apply it. It is clear, so the only evidence that it is in use may be a slightly shiny spot.

The link is to Amazon.com, but it can be found in craft stores, hardware stores, drugstores, Walmart, and many other places.

Perfect. I think I have some of that glue. Thank you for the help. I can't wait to get started when my kit arrives 

11 minutes ago, Luanne said:

What a cute first project! Welcome to the mini world, Amanda.  

I mainly use wood glue and Aileen tacky glue. Have lots of fun. 

Thank you :) My kit arrives Tuesday. I am excited. I'm not sure where to display the finished piece just yet. My husbands first question was "where are you going to put that" :rolleyes: he is supportive of my crafting obsession though haha. 

Welcome, I am in Canada too,my  avitar says Washington as I am right on the border but I am in Canada. There is a great online shop in Canada The Little Dollhouse Company. I mostly buy in the US and have stuff shipped to a US address and drive over the border to get it but I live very close.

2 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Welcome, I am in Canada too,my  avitar says Washington as I am right on the border but I am in Canada. There is a great online shop in Canada The Little Dollhouse Company. I mostly buy in the US and have stuff shipped to a US address and drive over the border to get it but I live very close.

I will check out that website :) I overpaid a bit for this starter kit on amazon so I could have it quickly and instructions would hopefully be English haha. That sounds very convenient to be so close to the border! 

One of the charming things about making miniatures is that you find ways to use whatever craft skills you happen to have to make your projects unique and interesting. And you keep learning new ones as you get ideas and try to make them happen. As for glues, I agree with others - tacky glue, fast grab, E6000, depending on what you're gluing. Also, museum wax, not really a glue but a removable sticky wax that holds things where you put them until you want to move them. It's great for holding tiny things like dishes on a table that you wish would stay put. Also, you can use a tiny dab to hold something in place while the permanent glue dries. Oh, I have a tip for using tacky glue, especially if you're doing a lot of gluing: find a tall glass jar like you might buy olives in, and whenever you put down the glue, place it tip-side-down in the jar. That way, you never have to turn over the bottle and wait for the glue to come out, and any dribbles and glue mess go nowhere except in the jar. Even if I forget to put the cap back on the glue bottle, if it's in the jar, tip-down, it's ready to go when I next want to use it. Welcome, and have fun! :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abloom said:

One of the charming things about making miniatures is that you find ways to use whatever craft skills you happen to have to make your projects unique and interesting. And you keep learning new ones as you get ideas and try to make them happen. As for glues, I agree with others - tacky glue, fast grab, E6000, depending on what you're gluing. Also, museum wax, not really a glue but a removable sticky wax that holds things where you put them until you want to move them. It's great for holding tiny things like dishes on a table that you wish would stay put. Also, you can use a tiny dab to hold something in place while the permanent glue dries. Oh, I have a tip for using tacky glue, especially if you're doing a lot of gluing: find a tall glass jar like you might buy olives in, and whenever you put down the glue, place it tip-side-down in the jar. That way, you never have to turn over the bottle and wait for the glue to come out, and any dribbles and glue mess go nowhere except in the jar. Even if I forget to put the cap back on the glue bottle, if it's in the jar, tip-down, it's ready to go when I next want to use it. Welcome, and have fun! :) 

Thank you for the help and welcome. I will definitely use the glue trick :) 

I think if there were an awards show for different glues Alene’s Tacky Glue would win for most useful. It amazes me I can use that glue to  help put a dollhouse together (along with wood glue) and also use it in making a silk costume for a doll. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I think if there were an awards show for different glues Alene’s Tacky Glue would win for most useful. It amazes me I can use that glue to  help put a dollhouse together (along with wood glue) and also use it in making a silk costume for a doll. 

I feel this way about hot glue as I use it every day for my crafting. I am out of my element with white glue haha. I have regular Tacky and fast grab aleenes, super glue and e6000 so I should be set to get started ;) 

Please, please, please whatever you do , NEVER use hot glue for any dollhouse assembly.  If you must, you can use miniscule bits to hold something in place whilst whatever more appropriate glue dries.  I have a simple glue palate; carpenter's wood glue (usually Titebond) for wood to wood, Elmer;s all-purpose white glue for attaching the clear acetate inserts for windows and doors, and E6000 for everything else.  I go through lots of blue painter's tape because I do lots of dry fitting, strips of it strategicly placed help my clamps hold things in place until glue dries, and I do mask off areas of bare wood that I'll want to glue to other areas of bare wood.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Please, please, please whatever you do , NEVER use hot glue for any dollhouse assembly.  If you must, you can use miniscule bits to hold something in place whilst whatever more appropriate glue dries.  I have a simple glue palate; carpenter's wood glue (usually Titebond) for wood to wood, Elmer;s all-purpose white glue for attaching the clear acetate inserts for windows and doors, and E6000 for everything else.  I go through lots of blue painter's tape because I do lots of dry fitting, strips of it strategicly placed help my clamps hold things in place until glue dries, and I do mask off areas of bare wood that I'll want to glue to other areas of bare wood.

No worries :) I read never to use hot glue. That's why I'm a little out of my element haha.