Displaying finished pieces

Sweetnlow

Hello all :) As a beginner I have what may be a silly question. I wonder how everyone displays their finished pieces. Is it advisable to get a glass or plastic case to protect from dust, put in a display cabinet or do you just leave them out to admire? I live on a busy road and I have a parrot so my small home becomes fairly dusty quite quickly. I couldn't imagine trying to dust a miniature :p I don't want to hide it away after all my hard work. What is your preferred method of display? 

5 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I play with mine, so whilst I have a few put about the house, most of them go into the garage (which my DH & I use for a play room) on tables.

Oh that sounds fun haha. 

At the house we live in now I don’t have any dollhouses in the main living areas, I just keep them in my workroom/craft room.  I do bring out and display my Christmas house during the holidays tho. 

Small paintbrushes work well for dusting minis :) 

• Like 1

I use large poster plastic to make dust covers that slide into a channel. This keeps the minis inside of the house dust free. My houses are made using real materials like stone and real slate tiles so I can use my vacuum hose and brush attachment on a low setting to vacuum them. Swifter dusters snag on wooden roofs and leave little bits embedded in the wood so stay away from those. 

• Like 1

I work in 1:24 scale which conveniently fits on a shelf. I have a curio cabinet that I display my finished work in, although they never really seem to be finished and I like to fuss with them and sometimes make changes. For 1:12 scale I’d create the clear plexi backs to minimize dust.

When I do have to dust, I use a microfiber cloth for “tin” roofs, makeup brushes for shingles, Cloth and brushes for cleaning furniture. I remove all furniture from the house and use canned air to carefully blow out any dust that the brush doesn’t reach but be careful using it around windows and landscaping. 

Dusting minis is a fairly slow and tedious process so you can see why a cabinet or plexi case or back can make a lot of difference preserving your work.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your help :) I've just bought my first kit which is a tiny greenhouse that I plan to make a garden /landscape around.  I don't know the scale but the base will be less than 30cm. I'm not sure if I will ever do actual large dollhouses or just little scenes with landscape or maybe the rooms that have the front cut off if that makes sense haha. I may have to look at a display case ;) 

Right now I have 4 displayed - One in a main living room that looks really good on the coffee table . One in the family room on a table between 2 chairs . and 2 on a fireplace hearth these two are destined for donation ,so just enjoying them while I can. Thanks for asking as I haven't had to clean anything just yet . So now I guess i'll try and figure out a cover as these two will be with me for a long time.

• Like 1

One of the ladies in the mini group I used to attend had multiple glass door bookshelves in her basement to display her collection.  She worked mostly in half-scale, so her pieces were easily displayed there. 

I have a wonderful hardware store nearby where I can get acrylic cut (and glued!) to order, so I can get pieces to put onto the back of my houses to keep out the dust and the kitty!  ;)  

• Like 1

I have almost no storage space, and my dollhouses are 1:12, so where to keep them is a challenge. I don't want to pack them away or give away or sell them; I like to look at and play with them. I've figured out places in our house  to display my finished one and the next 3 or 4 that I'm planning/working on - a side table in the living room, the top of an antique chest, a wall shelf on brackets in the bedroom for a small one. After that, I'm looking at whether any would fit above the rafters in the kitchen (not ideal for keeping them clean!). Last week I seriously asked my husband if he could think of anyplace where we could add a room onto the house, and he actually thought of one. Not in the budget, but maybe someday - a dollhouse room! Wouldn't that be lovely....

• Like 2

I build back walls for mine if they don't already have them, to keep the dust out and I like that when I look in! Sometimes I have had to hope and pray that I still have enough wallpaper to match

Mine are all sitting on shelves and tables.  Kind of random in the extra bedroom.  Dusty for sure.  Whenever I get motivated I dust them a bit.  I really need a better way to display mine but there's just no room!   And yet........I am starting a new project!  LOL

When we moved into our (small) house two years ago, my husband built a room into the garage for my minis. The plan was for me to work on them and display them there but I've gotten frustrated with the houses getting damaged. The room isn't temperature controlled and the houses are falling into disrepair, plus due to the way the room is set up the houses are up on high, deep counters that make them difficult to "play" with. When we discovered rat was living in the rafters right above my dollhouses, and running behind them to get outside, I hit my breaking point!

We're in the process of rearranging our dining room so I can bring some of them upstairs. We're replacing our large rectangular table (which never gets used) with a smaller round table that has a leaf we can put in when we have company. That makes room for a corner desk where I think I can put 4 or 5 houses (all half scale). It's deep enough that I'll be able to rotate the houses.

https://www.amazon.com/Ashley-Furniture-Signature-Design-L-Shaped/dp/B01ERJGZRG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523570679

Some of my smaller half scale houses will go on a bookshelf in the office.

On 4/11/2018, 6:07:02, Debora59 said:

I build back walls for mine if they don't already have them, to keep the dust out and I like that when I look in! Sometimes I have had to hope and pray that I still have enough wallpaper to match

I do the same. Then when you look through the windows from the front you have a back wall instead of an open space. Also keeps out the dust.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Annagr said:

I do the same. Then when you look through the windows from the front you have a back wall instead of an open space. Also keeps out the dust.

I really like this idea I'll do this for the next one . For now going with the plastic panel on 2  .