Gold paint

Thimble Hall

I seem to be having a difficulty with paint generally lately, probably as I have very little access to it locally. Now it is the gold's turn.

I have so far tried 2 different gold paints on wood with less than good results. One was Testers and another was Craftsmart, oh and Decoart too, all from Michaels. They look OK when wet but when dry they sort of loose their shine and look blotchy even with 2 or 3 coats. It is a lot of years since I bought gold paint for crafts and what I bought then is no more so I would appreciate any help anyone can give me..thank you Jeannine

I've been using gold paint pens on my wagon.  It looks good and is really easy to apply - I guess it depends on how big an area you want to paint!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shareb said:

I've been using gold paint pens on my wagon.  It looks good and is really easy to apply - I guess it depends on how big an area you want to paint!

3 hours ago, Shareb said:

I used a gold paint pen to spruce up the house numbers on my mailbox. Covered beautifully. Lloyd used them in his art work, too. 

(Don't know why the double quote ... :dunno: )

• Like 1

I like the look of the pen color when it's dry a whole lot better than the Testor's paint or the Rustoleum aerosols, both gold and silver.  I found a white ceramic soup tureen shaped like a head of cabbage with silver trim to go with my "family dinners" dishes in a resale shop and when I got it home found a wee nick in the trim on the lid; the silver pen covered it perfectly.

I've been enjoying Hand Made Modern acrylics (from Target) for awhile now - I really like the finish - I prefer it to Ceramcoat. Anyway - I have their "Gold" metallic and find it quite shiny, bright, and as expected. It will never be as perfect as chrome. They make a 20K Gold as well which seemed darker in tone. I have their pewter as well. I can only vouch for those, but I like that paint.  I plan on getting their "new penny copper" color too. They make a "mega metallic set" which looks nice. 

I like using pens, but sometimes I want a brighter smoother look. Love the pens for outlining, though. The pens have a nice old fashioned tone. Ideal for brassy things.

Have you also considered gold hobby foils - like "bare metal foils"? - it is very shiny and like real metal. 

5 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Good tips on the pens...I'll have to try them out.

Gold and silver spray paint works really well to give an authentic metallic look too. The down fall is it has to be done outside.

Love spray paint but it is hard to direct the coverage for certain items.  I've used gold spray and gloss black for various parts of my wagon.  The spray covers lace really well!

I do have an airbrush and compressor but for the beams in my caravan I don't want to use it.  I use it more with paints that I fire. I will find the pens for the caravan as advised

.Today I went looking for gloss enamel paint for a project, an old wood wheelbarrow outside.. . I wanted an enamel but apparently oil based paints are no longer made, at least that is what the paint shop told me. So what do folks paint their fences and outside wood chairs with ?

Then I want paint for the caravan, bear in mind I have done this once and had to strip it off as the house paint I bought for it was terrible. Having got it all stripped off and now have  decided to cover it  in bead and board new wood , which is on, I am nervous as to what to buy for that.

Maybe I am just  too old fashioned for this!! I knew exactly what to buy several years ago now I am lost.

We have dear friends who are painters and decorators and they no longer use enamel outside unless specifically asked.  Apparently the acrylic made for outdoors is just as good now and way easier to clean up and less smelly.  

I used a good indoor house acrylic for my wagon and it went on beautifully!  In fact it's the nicest paint I've ever worked with!  Not much help for you though as I think the brand is only available in NZ.  You could get a couple of test pots and try them on scraps of wood first?

I have been paint playing on new wood and I think I have found  a craft paint that is working, thank you all for your suggestions. The gold pens are on their way from Amazon so that should be another problem solved

• Like 1