Which glue to use to tack items down to keep from falling over

Rebecca

I want to move two of my completed houses up to a shelf and top of a cabinet as they are taking up too much of my work space but just the slightest bump and everything goes every which way, so I was wondering what everyone else does to keep things from falling over. I was thinking of using rubber cement but I read somewhere that after a while it becomes hard and yellow. What does everyone do, glue items permanently or is there an adhesive that won't yellow, dry hard, and ruin whatever it is used on and is repositionable?

I had this problem with the tons of small glasses, wine and liquor bottles in my bar. I didn’t want to glue them directly to the shelves so I cut glass biology slides and used Krazy Glue to glue them onto the slides. Then I was able to slide the decorated slide onto the glass shelves. 

• Like 1

Great, I read that discussion and it gives me some ideas. I have the rubber cement which it doesn't look like anyone posted whether it worked for them or not and I have glue dots. Thanks for the suggestions.

I use poster putty, the kind you knead to get it soft; it just takes a wee smidge to hold small things down, it doesn't seem to lose its hold over time, and when you want to move an item you just gently work the putty off of it, squish it a bit to soften it up, flatten it back onto the item and it's good to go again.

5 hours ago, Sable said:

I had this problem with the tons of small glasses, wine and liquor bottles in my bar. I didn’t want to glue them directly to the shelves so I cut glass biology slides and used Krazy Glue to glue them onto the slides. Then I was able to slide the decorated slide onto the glass shelves. 

That is so stinking brilliant! Totally stealing this idea. ;)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MaryKate said:

That is so stinking brilliant! Totally stealing this idea. ;)

Not a problem. I stole it from a club member who displayed the concept to our club. The entire club broke out in applause. She cut up bakery plastic and glued her 1/144 scale furniture on it and then slid it into the room. Much easier than trying to place individual 1/144 furniture in a tiny room. Brilliant!

So I would try the bakery plastic on top of a table and glue the flowers, tableware and other bits onto it. 

Edited by Sable
  • Like 1