Building Dollhouse Furniture

mjcmaisto

Hello, everyone! I am new to Dollhouses and I would like to make a few of the furniture pieces myself. Right now, I'm decorating the bathroom and found a wonderful tutorial for a shelf for over the sink. The instructions call for one layer of mat board for the shelves. I'm not familiar with mat board at all and I would rather use wood because I think it will hold up better. Am I right about that? What kind of wood would you advise? I've included a picture of the project from the site and a picture of how I want it to turn out.   Thanks for any help you can give me!

Mary Jo 

IMG_2962.jpg

bathroom medicine chest, mirror copy.jpg

• Like 1

Matt board is the board used in framing https://www.dickblick.com/products/savage-value-priced-pre-cut-double-mats/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=17208-1011&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbJGkFonDcKUoCgHjrHVP2x4xEqgfVKEwfXQ7cwgcjMJDrl38kxAku8aAh3kEALw_wcB

It come is all sorts of solid sizes. It firm like wood, but easier cut, It can be painted to look like wood.

Most people use thin Basswood to build furniture, and it is what is found in most kits.

• Like 2

Hi, Mary, I hope you will post an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  Unless you're planning to let children play with your dollhouse matboard will work for the bathroom mirror and shelf as well as wood the same thickness.  Matboard is the really stiff, firm heavy paper material used to mount pictures, much stronger than cardboard or chipboard.  I make almost all of my furniture, and when I use wood I usually use basswood because the grain is small and tight enough to work in scale, and it takes stains beautifully.

7 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Matt board is the board used in framing https://www.dickblick.com/products/savage-value-priced-pre-cut-double-mats/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=17208-1011&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbJGkFonDcKUoCgHjrHVP2x4xEqgfVKEwfXQ7cwgcjMJDrl38kxAku8aAh3kEALw_wcB

It come is all sorts of solid sizes. It firm like wood, but easier cut, It can be painted to look like wood.

Most people use thin Basswood to build furniture, and it is what is found in most kits.

Thank you! I have heard that Basswood was best. I appreciate your advice. 

5 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Hi, Mary, I hope you will post an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.  Unless you're planning to let children play with your dollhouse matboard will work for the bathroom mirror and shelf as well as wood the same thickness.  Matboard is the really stiff, firm heavy paper material used to mount pictures, much stronger than cardboard or chipboard.  I make almost all of my furniture, and when I use wood I usually use basswood because the grain is small and tight enough to work in scale, and it takes stains beautifully.

Thank you, Holly! That is so helpful. Love this forum so much! I will post an introduction now! 

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a link to the tutorial those pictures are from? They probably put a lot of work into it and will appreciate the link back, plus maybe people here will want to try it out.

Thanks!

• Like 2

I betcha it's from Kris' Inchbyinch blog because she did a quilled paper bathroom shelf and the mirror with shelves is in some of the pictures.  BTW, Mary, Kris give an excellent explanation of matboard here:  http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/search/label/What%20is%20mat%20board.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fov said:

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a link to the tutorial those pictures are from? They probably put a lot of work into it and will appreciate the link back, plus maybe people here will want to try it out.

Thanks!

Sure, I'd be happy to! 

47 minutes ago, mjcmaisto said:

Hello, everyone! I am new to Dollhouses and I would like to make a few of the furniture pieces myself. Right now, I'm decorating the bathroom and found a wonderful tutorial for a shelf for over the sink. The instructions call for one layer of mat board for the shelves. I'm not familiar with mat board at all and I would rather use wood because I think it will hold up better. Am I right about that? What kind of wood would you advise? I've included a picture of the project from the site and a picture of how I want it to turn out.   Thanks for any help you can give me!

Mary Jo 

IMG_2962.jpg

bathroom medicine chest, mirror copy.jpg

Here is the link for this project: http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/2018/01/1-inch-scale-vintage-medicine-cabinet.html