Any one else tired of learning the hard way???

Mid-life madness

I swear, I make more work for myself. It has just been a lousy week for me. My minis were my best consolation until this mishap. I was trimming the wallpaper around the window openings when I cut the wires to one of my sconces. #$%^!!!!!!!  If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. WWWell I just wanted to commiserate with you all. I think I fixed it, but now I hope I have extra wall paper I was able to reattach the wires and use some heat shrink tube!.rsz_elelectrical_drama_-_copy.thumb.jpg.

• Like 2

Ah, so sorry, it is infuriating but you have a good attitude showing . As long as you go three steps forward and only two back hang in there. I really can relate though and it can be heart breaking at the time. I love the wallpaper by the way, it looks really good. XX Jeannine

• Like 1

Lol!  I feel that way with my Pierce!  While I love much of it, as it's my first big house I've also learned a huge amount during it.  Now I know that stuff I'd kinda like to do it again!

• Like 1

smiley.gifcalm down :cloud9:  have a cup of tea :coffee:  & sit for a spell...

"My name is Carrie, yes, I'm a frustrated dolla-housa-holic"

:chat:  Hi Carrie!  Welcome to FDBA

Frustrated Dollhouse Builders Anonymous

• Like 4

Image result for ghost hug meme

Awww.. been there more than once and actually have cut the wire to a sconce before.. lol... I'm sure you will figure out a way to fix it using all the ingenuity you've picked up from other mishaps... In the meantime commiserate over here and have a ghost hug from me. :D 

1 hour ago, mesp2k said:

smiley.gifcalm down :cloud9:  have a cup of tea :coffee:  & sit for a spell...

"My name is Carrie, yes, I'm a frustrated dolla-housa-holic"

:chat:  Hi Carrie!  Welcome to FDBA

Frustrated Dollhouse Builders Anonymous

Mike: I want to join FDBA, but I will need to drink fortified tea. :giggle:

• Like 4

So sorry you're having such a bad week!   It can be so frustrating when nothing seems to go right.  We've all been there, and it's no fun at all.  But the good thing is, you fixed it!!!  You made it work.  :)  (I'm kind of like Shannon.  I'd have put it away for a while before going back to it and trying to fix it.)  Fingers crossed that you have the wallpaper you need or will find a creative solution to deal with the issue.  

• Like 1

Also - when these disasters happen to me (do not ask me about the wallpaper in the Rose cottage...we do not speak of it) I try really hard to fix it fast fast fast HURRY HURRY FIX IT I say to myself.

Ultimate mistake. I finally learned to a)not do any of that any more, and b)not to hurry. In general.

It will be beautiful again.

• Like 1

ugh. Seriously.  I was getting so frustrated with my Federal farmhouse on Monday....just one problem after the other...one that involved using an oli-based poly over latex paint which (surprise!) resulted in the poly peeling off. (note to self: buy water-based poly) Had to sand the entire floor down so I could re-paint. ggrrr....and then I was sanding an edge down and scraped my finger against a rough edge and drew blood. That was it- I am outta here!  :grrr:  :frusty:   Next evening things went better.

• Like 1

Oh my God! I did the same thing trimming the doorway in the bathroom of the Harrison. Unfortunately living in the middle of nowhere I couldn't do a quick fix. My miniature dollhouse company in the USA wanted $8.95usd for the light and $25.00usd to ship it...you know, that minimum order thing they do. Anyways, it was months before I could fix it. What did I learn from this experience? Never ever in this lifetime will I electrify another dollhouse. lol. I also had the kitchen light "fry" and had to pull everything apart to replace that.

• Like 2

Oh Carrie! Been there, done that - twice! Well truthfully, on two houses but several times on the second one. I felt like an epic failure, and that is when I vowed to NEVER use tape wire on an MDF structure again!

I am happy you got the lights working again, and if you can't salvage the wallpaper, you could make a cornice for over the window, and framed panels for the sconces. Like this:

Picture6.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Great idea Jodi! Thank you for always being so positive.

A wise man once said "How can you enjoy smooth when you've never had lumpy?" Yeah, but lumpy really sucks and takes the wind right out of your sails. Usually, when I get into a mistake slump, I make a simple kit until I feel encouraged again. I hope you find something to keep you feeling hopeful! It's going to be beautiful, whether it wants it the easy way or not!

• Like 2

I find with a huge mistake  I have to fix it immediately or I have to do the dismantling or the pulling out, unpicking etc depending on what I am doing and  take the project back to it's last good spot, and then put it away for a while. If I just stop and put it away wrong I rarely go back to it

• Like 1

I remember when I was first on here, I explained that I am a bit of a perfectionist and I wondered how I was going to build the things I wanted to as well as I wanted to!  Someone told me that being good at miniatures meant being good at hiding things!  I learned pretty quickly how true that is!  I've also learned that being creative also helps!  Especially when issues come up!  Many a night I've laid in bed considering how best to do something in miniature.   But don'tya just love it! :D:D:D 

• Like 3

So, I use a spare bedroom for my Miniatures and I work on my Pierce at the end of the bed. I was painting my windows on it with Turquoise paint that I had on the porch(I use the cap for touch ups) I turned the house around and up to get under the window and forgot I had the paint on the porch, when I realized I had left it there,the bottle was almost empty and the paint was all over the bed. I put the house on the floor so I could clean up the bed,not realizing the paint went in the lattice so when I moved the house it was all over the rug too..... I now keep a small hand towel on the floor and over the spot so,I don’t see it !!                           But don’tya just love it.                     !!! YES !!!

Carrie,I feel for you.. l had paint everywhere,so no pictures!

• Like 2

My Pierce is the ultimate 'stuff up' at the moment!  That's why I'm enjoying working on the Gypsy Wagon!  :D  Sigh....still....I've almost finished, then I'll have to get back to the Pierce.  I've decided to invest in a really good, heavy duty sander!