Help!! Beacon Hill roof.

WestPaces

Ok, so I started getting cocky and going my own way with this build... I constructed all three floors and am now onto the roof: The problem I've encountered is that I already glued the 3rd floor partition (but not the tower/ front panel). I now realise that it's going to be very awkward to shingle/face that awkward little corner bit (you know the one) unless I try to unglue the 3rd floor partition (baseboard and all! :( ). What would you advise? Attempt the impossible and try to shingle, etc. without taking down the wall or just bite the bullet and take it down. Also, when I dry fit the tower front wall I noticed it's about 1/8th of an inch shorter than the 3rd floor wall on one side only, everything else seems to fit fine - is this normal? Like I said - HELP!!

I think Tracy's idea of making and shingling a template and then sliding the template in would be the way to do it.

I did not, but taped individual shingles together with masking tape and then slid each row into that tight space.  Well, they are in now, but what a mess to get them in place doing it that way.  They kept sliding around and coming loose from the masking tape instead of going in nice and easy.  I had to use a good light source to see into that dark space while shingling.  Now it is fortunate that the space Is tight and dark as the individual shingles are not too noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...

This is something I was worrying about.  I'm in the process of striping back my Beacon Hill to the shell and refinishing it (it was built nearly 30 years ago by my mum).  Getting the shingles off that section of roof was such a pain in the backside that I was dreading putting new shingles in there.

Love the template idea.  Let me know how you get on with it 

5 hours ago, redmonk said:

This is something I was worrying about.  I'm in the process of striping back my Beacon Hill to the shell and refinishing it (it was built nearly 30 years ago by my mum).  Getting the shingles off that section of roof was such a pain in the backside that I was dreading putting new shingles in there.

Love the template idea.  Let me know how you get on with it 

I'll let you know Suzi.  I already decided that this problem had to be a priority if I wanted to move on. I contemplated ungluing the third floor inner wall but I didn't want to do that because painting, spackling and trimwork would be damaged. So - I dry fitted the roof to see what I was up against in regards to templates and in attempting to attach the tower trim I sort of manhandled the whole thing and ended up cracking one of the joints in the third floor inner wall :( Anyway, it became obvious that I'd have to decide now what kind of cladding I wanted to use - I'm not going to use the siding, I'm 'bricking' the exterior with  egg carton bricks - the dilemma was whether to use 'terracotta' bricks or painted. I am still on the fence so any progress on the 'difficult spot' will have to wait until the final decision is made. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 1

I think templates is the way to go. You can check and be sure it’s aligned correctly before you install them permanently too! :) I also do templates for walks for wallpaper or for flooring! Happy you’re having f7n with this build!