Wood for miniatures

mjcmaisto

I want to make some furniture for my dollhouse-nothing elaborate, just simple things like shelves and a kitchen cabinet. Can anyone recommend the best wood to use and where they purchased it? I've searched everywhere and where I live, the selection is limited. I live in NY, USA. Thanks so much. 

A lot of people use bass strip wood, which comes in a variety of widths and thicknesses. Try hobby stores or art stores.  Our local Blick Art Supply has a decent selection.  You can also order online from places like Manchester Woodworks or EarthnTree.com  (both have really nice selections).  Also, check out One Inch Minis.  She has tutorials for making awesome kitchen cabinets using simple mat board.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

A lot of people use bass strip wood, which comes in a variety of widths and thicknesses. Try hobby stores or art stores.  Our local Blick Art Supply has a decent selection.  You can also order online from places like Manchester Woodworks or EarthnTree.com  (both have really nice selections).  Also, check out One Inch Minis.  She has tutorials for making awesome kitchen cabinets using simple mat board.

Thank you! That's a great help!

25 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

hi Mary, I get my basswood sheets from Micromark. Great quality, fast shipping, competitive prices and you can get 10% (or 15% can't remember) if you use the code IGMA16;

I will definitely try this website! Thank you!

1 minute ago, Sable said:

If you have a Michael’s or Hobby Lobby near you, they have lovely bass wood.

I tried Michaels near me and they're supplies were limited. I'll try one in the next town tomorrow. Thanks so much!!! (Hobby Lobby is far, unfortunately)

Regards, MJ

15 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I was in Michael's this AM and only saw balsa (and pitiful stuff it was!)  When we lived in Tallahassee I got most of my basswood at Utrecht's.  I have also gotten it at Hobby Lobby.

6 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

Me too :(

15 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I was in Michael's this AM and only saw balsa (and pitiful stuff it was!)  When we lived in Tallahassee I got most of my basswood at Utrecht's.  I have also gotten it at Hobby Lobby.

I love Michaels in general but they definitely don't cater to the dollhouse hobby! It's really a shame. I guess it isn't a money-maker for them. I saw some pathetic packages of Balsa wood that cost +$8.00 and had all different thicknesses, so that was useless! I did find a long, board of bass that was 1/16 inch thick and that should be ok for what i need, but I really wanted a larger piece. ("sigh"). (I uploaded a picture of it.) Well, I'll try these other sites in the future and thanks to everyone who helped me out!

IMG_1828.jpg

2 hours ago, WestPaces said:

hi Mary, I get my basswood sheets from Micromark. Great quality, fast shipping, competitive prices and you can get 10% (or 15% can't remember) if you use the code IGMA16;

Checked out this site and I agree, very competitive.  Plus the discount could help pay for shipping.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keifer said:

Checked out this site and I agree, very competitive.  Plus the discount could help pay for shipping.  

I love this site Keith, I'm just waiting for the impulse to splurge and I'll buy their tilt table saw. Have bought a few things from them and the quality is good. Plus they do specials and discounts, the other day they were offering a $10 sale and I got a few things which were regularly priced double that. My favourite purchase was a very fine (flat) engineers square which is very practical for the thin woods we use. The IGMA discount code directly profits IGMA I believe.