Is there fake rock candy?

abloom

I'm looking for something I could buy or make that would resemble old fashioned rock candy - the rubble-like rocks of crystalized sugar we used to get when I was little. I thought it would make a cool edible-looking chimney for my Hansel and Gretel witch house. I know there are ways to make crystals out of things like borax, but I don't know how durable thay are. Any ideas?

I’ve made the borax crystals with my granddaughter. I use the foiled pipe cleaners (picture). You can use  string and other thing too. I have lose crystals that I’m going to use in my Christmas House for ice.....(on the list). Not sure how long they last but these I’ve had for 3-4 years. Go on Pinterest to find out how.  I would put the link but I don’t know how to do that....

A37CA92E-C987-4D6A-996D-02313A357ADB.jpeg

• Like 1

I have seen bags of tiny gemstones for sale on some of the internet shopping & auction sites that look like the rock candy my paternal grandparents used to send me when I was little.

• Like 1

For ice cubes, We use the silicone which prevents moisture and comes in the small bags when you purchase a new purse.   Maybe you could smash them and make crystals? I don’t know if they would smash, though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBQEYTJ/ref=asc_df_B01NBQEYTJ5445230/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B01NBQEYTJ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198108511374&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5939987628709737615&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1015116&hvtargid=pla-349818235909

• Like 1

Michaels and hobby lobby both carry small glass vase filler. 

I have the hobby lobby stuff it’s what I used in the Pierce dragon house windows they are color  

this is a link for a clear one  I can’t seem to find the ones I used though 

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Floral-Wedding/Containers-Fillers/Fillers/Clear-Colorfill/p/95317

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sable said:

For ice cubes, We use the silicone which prevents moisture and comes in the small bags when you purchase a new purse.   Maybe you could smash them and make crystals? I don’t know if they would smash, though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBQEYTJ/ref=asc_df_B01NBQEYTJ5445230/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B01NBQEYTJ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198108511374&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5939987628709737615&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1015116&hvtargid=pla-349818235909

It controls moisture in purses, etc., by absorbing ambient moisture. If used in a humid environment, I wonder what the result would be.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KathieB said:

It controls moisture in purses, etc., by absorbing ambient moisture. If used in a humid environment, I wonder what the result would be.

I’ll put my “ice cubes” outside for a week here in Florida and see what happens. The humidity is expected to be high this week.

Edit: these are 4 years old and have already been subjected to a 5 day power outage due to hurricane  Irma when the humidity was unbearable and they still look new. So I think they’d be a good option.

CEEA4637-4099-484E-93DB-D1693C7E9D37.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Being lazy, I'll see if I can find the ready-made vase-filler crystals that look right. If not, I'll try the borax and silicone ones. You guys are great!

• 1 month later...

So this was the best stuff I could find for rock candy, vase filler at Michael's. There might have been enough of the clear frosted ones to make the whole chimney out of them, but I kind of liked the amber ones, so I used them, too. Is there such a thing as amber rock candy? (maybe maple sugar)? Guess there is now! :) I still need to make the chimney top. 

1E293F69-DEDB-442E-A928-F0E01BC813DF.jpeg

• Like 3

The roof looks really excellent!  Is there going to be something hanging from that support under the round window?

you’ve really captured the whole essence with this build :clap:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keifer said:

... Is there going to be something hanging from that support under the round window? ...

No, that has to do with the strangest part of this cottage. I was originally thinking of a scratch build, because I wanted space for the built-in beds, and also an upper chamber with a steep roof and a round hole like a birdhouse. (How cool that the Buttercup had both!) Because the fairy tale mentions nice little beds where the children are tucked in, but nothing about where the witch sleeps. Somehow I couldn't picture this cannibal witch with a nice cozy bedroom or even sleeping in a bed. Then I heard a song called The Jealous Crow, about an old ragged crow who's jealous of a young maiden's beauty and casts a spell to steal it from her. Instead the crow changes into an ancient woman and the girl becomes a beautiful bird. That gave me the idea of the H&G witch as sometimes taking a human form and sometimes that of a carnivorous crow. (They do eat nestlings, I've read.) So I'm giving her a nest in the top of the house, and I was going to attach pegs outside the birdholes where she alights when returning from wild night flights. But instead, I had these pendant brackets that look great on the house ... so that's what that's for. 

• Like 1