Using Fabric stiffener

Shareb

I bought some fabric stiffener the other day, thinking it might be very useful.  The first thing I want to use it on is a crushed velvet.  I'm making curtains and I figured it would be good if the curtain can hold it's shape.  So I tried it on a piece of scrap and it's worked, but the material is pretty ugh now.  I'd love to hear if you use fabric stiffener, for what and how!  It's all new to me!!

I have only used this brand back in the 90's.....https://www.amazon.com/Plaid-Stiffy-Stiffener-16-Ounce-1551/dp/B00178QQ5W.  

Bow Dazzlers LOL!https://www.amazon.com/Bow-Dazzlers-Charming-Baskets-Decorator/dp/9999274765

It can turn fabric into beef jerky...best way I can describe how stiff. I would not use it on  a fabric that had a nap or pile. 

I think you might need to research how to stiffen velvet. Maybe you need to use a strong backing web?

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/2014/07/07/underlining-with-fusible-interfacing

• Like 1

So far the only thing I've used it on was years ago - my daughter needed a rose-petal headdress for a play, and I stiffened felt "petals" into cupped shapes.  I cut the felt before dunking it in the solution to soak it.  I draped each petal over a glass bowl and left them to dry overnight.  It did turn the felt from soft and fuzzy to a much firmer material - no fuzzies.  The felt still had a little give to it, but the petals kept their shape, framing my little girl's face instead of drooping over it.

I was going to try a diluted mixture for setting folds in a tablecloth.  You cover the table you intend to use with plastic wrap or some such protection before dampening the cloth with the mix, then arrange the cloth over the table, coaxing the material to drape in natural folds over the edge.  You may need to use fine pins to tack the cloth if its stubborn.  Let it dry completely before gently removing the now stiff cloth from the table.  After taking off the plastic wrap or other protective covering, replace the cloth over your table.  I have done this with watered down glue, but not tried the fabric stiffener on it yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsbeth said:

what about ye olde tyme method of gluing the fabric (velvet) to tin foil? I had great success with this for a tablecloth. My once unruly fabric draped properly once I got the hang of the foil. 

I've done bedding this way, however I need it to look good on both sides this time around.....just to make it difficult for myself!

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I have only used this brand back in the 90's.....https://www.amazon.com/Plaid-Stiffy-Stiffener-16-Ounce-1551/dp/B00178QQ5W.  

Bow Dazzlers LOL!https://www.amazon.com/Bow-Dazzlers-Charming-Baskets-Decorator/dp/9999274765

It can turn fabric into beef jerky...best way I can describe how stiff. I would not use it on  a fabric that had a nap or pile. 

I think you might need to research how to stiffen velvet. Maybe you need to use a strong backing web?

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/2014/07/07/underlining-with-fusible-interfacing

As long as it disappears into the fabric as it will be seen on both sides....

2 hours ago, Shy Spirit said:

I was going to try a diluted mixture for setting folds in a tablecloth.  You cover the table you intend to use with plastic wrap or some such protection before dampening the cloth with the mix, then arrange the cloth over the table, coaxing the material to drape in natural folds over the edge.  You may need to use fine pins to tack the cloth if its stubborn.  Let it dry completely before gently removing the now stiff cloth from the table.  After taking off the plastic wrap or other protective covering, replace the cloth over your table.  I have done this with watered down glue, but not tried the fabric stiffener on it yet.

I watched a youtube vid doing this which looked really cool!  A very good idea!

It’s hard to get velvet to look right in mini. The dollhouse curtain book I have recommends not using velvet for mini curtains. On the other hand I see dolls with velvet cloaks and skirts and they look beautiful so I don’t know what the secret is. I tried a velvet curtain in my castle room and had the same experience, the stiffener ruined the nap. After it dried I used a dry paint brush to smooth the nap (worked so-so). 

• Like 1

I've used velvet for quit a few curtains. My own opinion, but the less wet the better. I used fabric stiffener and diluted it a bit. I then painted it on THE BACK of the material with a PAINT brush. Really tricky, but you need to get it wet enough to "hold" but not wet enough for it to go thru the material and get wet on the front. Once the velvet gets wet it usually looks ugly and not sure how to get it right again. Anyways, this has worked for me. I then pin the material to dowels.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Inge said:

I've used velvet for quit a few curtains. My own opinion, but the less wet the better. I used fabric stiffener and diluted it a bit. I then painted it on THE BACK of the material with a PAINT brush. Really tricky, but you need to get it wet enough to "hold" but not wet enough for it to go thru the material and get wet on the front. Once the velvet gets wet it usually looks ugly and not sure how to get it right again. Anyways, this has worked for me. I then pin the material to dowels.....

So this is exactly what I ended up doing - great minds think alike!  I diluted it with water and using a paint brush to brush it onto the back of the material and then I molded it and used pins to hold it in place on card while it dried.  After it was dry I used a brush to brush out the nap again - so while it's not like it was, it's good enough.  I think I'll have fun with the stiffener for other projects!